Verifying and changing te Compression Level of Backups

Jun 11, 2018
I just found out I can use pigz instead of gzip. Now I can use the higher compression without extending the time of running backups.
In GZIP you can define a Compressions-Level of 9 but default is 6. How can I see which compression level I am currently using with vzdump
and how can I change?

Currently I am using PVE 6.0.7.

I just found out I can use pigz instead of gzip. Now I can use the higher compression without extending the time of running backups.
In GZIP you can define a Compressions-Level of 9 but default is 6. How can I see which compression level I am currently using with vzdump
and how can I change?

Currently I am using PVE 6.0.7.
Hi,
we use the default value for compression with gzip and there is at the moment no way to set this value. You could do something like this in order to see if you gain much from the higher compression by running
Code:
vzdump <VMID> --stdout | gzip -9 > output_file.gz

Hi,
we use the default value for compression with gzip and there is at the moment no way to set this value. You could do something like this in order to see if you gain much from the higher compression by running
Code:
vzdump <VMID> --stdout | gzip -9 > output_file.gz
Sorry to dredge up this old post.

Can anyone point out where gzip is called by proxmox when processing daily backups?

I have an (FPGA based) hardware gzip accelerator which I am hoping to direct proxmox to use, but am having troubles tracking down the call to gzip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!