VE node frozen: impossible to connect with SSH or webGUI

PeterZ

Jul 18, 2019
I have a single VE node (updated about 3 weeks ago) with a few containers and 1 VM which runs fine (most of the time).
Since running v7.x it seems that I have more stability issues whereas with v6.x this was not the case.

Now I'm on vacation and I wanted to access some services but it seems that the system is frozen. (tests on LAN)
- SSH: I can enter credentials but nothing happens
- webGUI is not accessible
- ip of host is pingeable
- ip's of containers are pingeable
- ip of VM not pingeable

I have searched for information on how to troubleshoot but didn't find anything useful for this case.
What can I do when I get home (except reboot the system) to try to get to the cause of this (I'm not that familiar with Linux)

Thanks a lot for any help!

Can you run a command on the SSH if you can't take an interactive shell?

is the ping to your node works well?
do you have a service on the internet (web, email etc...)? if yes, can you reach it?

What can I do when I get home (except reboot the system) to try to get to the cause of this (I'm not that familiar with Linux)
You can check the system log to see what happened, the syslog can be find in `/var/log/syslog` or through PVE GUI Datacenter->Node Name->Syslog (there you can sort by date by date)

Reactions: PeterZ
Hi Moayad, thanks for stepping in!
About SSH: it seems like I am connected, tried to issue a reboot but without success.

I run a few services, all local (dokuwiki, grafana, home automation, pi-hole) but none of them are accessible.
The PVE GUI (webUI) cannot be loaded either so I will offload the syslog for inspection and then reboot the system when back home.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!