VE Backup to multiple USB drives

jona

Mar 2, 2024
Hi all.
I'm currently using the backup mechanism of VE to backup my containers and vms to a NAS and to my Proxmox backup server.
I was wondering if there is a (simple) way to also backup to a pool of USB connected drives.
In detail this means, that I could have, let's say 5, USB drives and every day I only change the USB drive which is connected to the server. Without any UI interaction or anything else. Just unplug, and plug.
I have seen some posts about registering external devices, but nothing compared to this scenario.
Is there a way to handle backup devces like this?

Thanks and warm greeetings from spain.

@Kingneutron thank you very much for response. The tool looks quite interessting to me.
This is indeed a problem, but the intention is to always have an off-site backup.
Network shares are always connected, so a ransomeware attack would also make the backups on network drives useless. Another reason for having the additional off-site backups are robbery, fire, water, etc.

What would you use instead of USB drives as a secondary backup medium?

> Network shares are always connected, so a ransomeware attack would also make the backups on network drives useless. Another reason for having the additional off-site backups are robbery, fire, water, etc

Understandable. Look into ZFS snapshots for ransomware protection, and you can also duplicate them on another server (or cloud, such as rsync.net ) - IMHO it's best to keep ~30 days or less worth of snapshots on your primary server

https://www.45drives.com/community/articles/How-to-Protect-Your-Data-from-Ransomware-Attacks/

You could also look into LTO tape drives, Proxmox Backup Server has support for tape

And there's this:

https://www.techradar.com/pro/this-...cuts-wasabi-and-backblaze-cloud-storage-by-75

Reactions: jona

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!