VE 2.0 RC1 - backup seriously flawed!

hk@

Renowned Member
Feb 10, 2010
Vienna
kapper.net
Hi,
what I did was simply press the "Backup Now" button within the configuration subpages of a single VE.
It starts, then the snapshot runs full and everything fails, eg 2 GB backup written (but 30 GB should have been done).

Now two things do worry me: a) the invalidated snapshot is not seen by the script and therefore it concludes (no matter what) "done fine", which is plain wrong and then another very strange thing happens: the manually kicked backup decides without question to remove (possibly) older releases of this backup from the selected backup-storage.... NOW, THIS is definitely not what I'd expect by hitting a backup-now button, I'd neither expect this to clean files automatically for me - and especially if the backup that is done "now" is not to be expected to fail and yet give success and therefore nuke the whole backup-files and anything with it....

Please do not even consider removing old backup files if the end-user doesn't confirm, this could give us all some serious data loss. And I would also expect another backup-automation to be quite more flexible than just kickin' me in vain....

regards
hk

Hi,
what I did was simply press the "Backup Now" button within the configuration subpages of a single VE.
It starts, then the snapshot runs full and everything fails, eg 2 GB backup written (but 30 GB should have been done).

Please can you post the backup log?

As I understand, the old backup is not deleted after a successfull new backup, but before or after a failed backup. This behavior is wrong.

sorry, can't - the next pressing the backup-button nuked the old log instantly, afterwards I tried to configure the vdzump size parameter, but this was no solution to get a successfull backup either, therefore we started a backup job that does no snapshot (still running). anyway, I just found the log in the GUI :)

it is quite long, so I go for the end that probably interests you:

INFO: tar: ./lib/libproc-3.2.7.so: Warning: Read error at byte 0, while reading 3584 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./lib/librt-2.3.6.so: Warning: Read error at byte 0, while reading 5632 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./lib/libpam.so.0.79: Warning: Read error at byte 0, while reading 9728 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./lib/libpamc.so.0.79: Warning: Read error at byte 0, while reading 6144 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./lib/libblkid.so.1.0: Warning: Read error at byte 0, while reading 4096 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./lib/libcidn-2.3.6.so: Warning: Read error at byte 0, while reading 4096 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: Total bytes written: 32046428160 (30GiB, 109MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 2.83GB
INFO: delete old backup '/mnt/pve/backup/dump/vzdump-openvz-1108-2012_03_11-02_49_45.tar.lzo'
INFO: delete old backup '/mnt/pve/backup/dump/vzdump-openvz-1108-2012_03_18-00_11_04.tar.lzo'
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 1108 (00:07:11)
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
TASK OK

as you can see tar got all the errors after the snapshot was invalidated, but yet vzdump thinks everything was fine (which is definitely not fine).

regards
hk

as you can see tar got all the errors after the snapshot was invalidated, but yet vzdump thinks everything was fine (which is definitely not fine).

Seems tar thinks the backup is OK (just warnings) - maybe the backup is OK. Please check by verifying some md5soms of those files.

@hk@
I have experienced the same unexpected behaviour: my older backup file is deleted and replaced by a new backup file;
INFO: delete old backup '/backup/dump/vzdump-openvz-100-2012_03_23-14_24_02.tar.lzo'

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!