/var/lib/vz/.. nfs export

Burn

Nov 24, 2009
I have several proxmox servers. One of them has really big hdds, and I want to use it as a nfs storage for others. However, almost all space is allocated to /var/lib/vz partition. So I created /var/lib/vz/nfs folder and tried to export it through nfs, but got "exportfs: Warning: /var/lib/vz/nfs does not support NFS export." What do I do to resolve it?
Proxmox version is 1.5 latest.

just tried, works here (1.5 with 2.6.18).

I just did a fresh install (1.5 with 2.6.18) and had the same error that Burn had.

However, installing unfs as an extra step worked around the problem

apt-get install unfs3

thanks for the instructions!

I ended up rearranging LVM. Split /var/lib/vz into 2 parts and exported one of them, that worked fine

NEW:
I got it to work using unfs3 . I'm still testing trying to figure out why it was not working before.... there were some nfsd processes around .... will be testing and i'll post more info later.

OLD:
I can confirm the same problem.

I can export other folders, but not the one using vz or qm . I do not know why.

Tried using unfs3 and got this error on client end:
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 10.100.100.10:/data

Using nfs-kernel-server , when 'exportfs -a' runs I get :
exportfs: Warning: /data does not support NFS export.

can export other directories with out a problem.

Last edited:
I think the problem we had may have been due to nfsd processes running , even though we had stopped the server. this is related to stuck bind mounts I think.

So you setup nfs - try with vz , qemu-server , and nfs-kernel-server [ or unfs3 ] shutdown [/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop ]

then check for any stuck nfsd processes with
ps -ef | grep nfsd

if there are any run
killall -9 nfsd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!