Valid LXC UID mapping makes Guest /home folder owned by nobody

poisonborz

May 8, 2020
I'm trying to do a very typical uid mapping. I have both a Guest and Host user id 5000.
Just for reference I'm adding my config, it is valid, because it works. I see Bind mount files on Guest/Host owned by #5000 user as their respective users in Guest/Host.

Code:
lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 5000
lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 5000
lxc.idmap: u 5000 5000 1
lxc.idmap: g 5000 5000 1
lxc.idmap: u 5001 105001 60535
lxc.idmap: g 5001 105001 60535

// sub{g,u}id
root:100000:65536
root:5000:1

BUT. When the mapping is added, the /home folder of #5000 on the Guest is suddenly being owned by 65534/nobody. What could be the possible issue?

I tried the same with multiple container templates (Turnkey, Alpine) with same results...

Just a sidenote, I circumvented this issue, without UID mapping.

As stated in OP, I just wanted to share Bind mounts between containers, without the possibility that files are unavailable or read only to some containers. This doesn't necessitate specific users, just preset rights. So I added 777 ACL-s to the root folders on the Host - it's not a problem security wise, as containers only get the bind mounts they should have full access to.

For anyone with the same problem, think about if you are truly needing a specific user to own the files - if not, ACL is a good, and much simpler solution. I still wish I knew what the issue was with the UID mapping, but for now, it was not needed.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!