[SOLVED] V2V from Hyper-V

baron164

Jan 16, 2024
I'm new to Proxmox and I'm working on migrating some VMs from Hyper-V over to Proxmox. I was able to migrate a Win11 VM without issue by exporting the VM from Hyper-V and converting the VHDX disk into the QCOW2 format and importing that into a new VM on my Proxmox server. However, when I tried that with a Ubuntu 18.04 VM, the imported VM simply sits at "Booting from Hard Disk". I installed the qemu-guest-agent package before exporting the VM but that was the only thing I did before exporting. Not sure if I should have done anything else before hand. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can get this working.

After some searching I found that I had to switch the new VM's Bios over to UEFI and then I was able to boot the VM. I also had to change the display type to "vmware compatible" for the display to work properly. So right now the only thing I have left to fix is the network connection. Network connection is fixed, but for whatever reason the cifs mount is failing with a permission denied error. All the issues appear to have been resolved, looks good.

Last edited:
Reactions: wbk
Nice you got through the migrations!
left to fix is the network connection (...) All the issues appear to have been resolved, looks good.
Did the issue resolve itself, or did you have to change some settings to get networking and CIFS to work?

For the network I used the ip addr show command to find the of the new network device which was shown as "DOWN". I then updated the /etc/network/interfaces config file with the name of the new nic. I was then able to bring up the network interface. The cifs issue appears to have just been an authentication issue with the account.

Reactions: wbk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!