UUID LVM Problem

tresrob

Apr 28, 2014
Hi

My system show this error:

Couldn't find device with uuid 3xgMv0-WorN-cif6-vbGC-69ZD-Zujw-PG7jcw.

Please how i can solve it???

Thanks in advance

Where does the system show the error (log, on the console)?
Maybe a disk changed, and the change wasn't propagated into all necessary places (e.g. /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/grub.cfg)
If you can get to a console/ssh session on the server you could try:
* grep -ri '3xgMv0-WorN-cif6-vbGC-69ZD-Zujw-PG7jcw' /etc /boot (needs to be run as root user)

Where does the system show the error (log, on the console)?
Maybe a disk changed, and the change wasn't propagated into all necessary places (e.g. /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/grub.cfg)
If you can get to a console/ssh session on the server you could try:
* grep -ri '3xgMv0-WorN-cif6-vbGC-69ZD-Zujw-PG7jcw' /etc /boot (needs to be run as root user)

i execute command and show this:

/etc/lvm/backup/vg_server: id = "3xgMv0-WorN-cif6-vbGC-69ZD-Zujw-PG7jcw"
/etc/lvm/archive/vg_server_00001-1296367895.vg: id = "3xgMv0-WorN-cif6-vbGC-69ZD-Zujw-PG7jcw"
/etc/lvm/archive/vg_server_00000-1965074435.vg: id = "3xgMv0-WorN-cif6-vbGC-69ZD-Zujw-PG7jcw"
/etc/lvm/archive/vg_server_00002-1114383348.vg: id = "3xgMv0-WorN-cif6-vbGC-69ZD-Zujw-PG7jcw"

Where do you get the error-message and when (during boot, in a logfile after the system has booted up (which logfile) )?

what's the output of : lsblk -f ?

Do you experience any problems, apart from the message? (services not starting, VMs/containers not running)?

Where do you get the error-message and when (during boot, in a logfile after the system has booted up (which logfile) )?

The message is displayed only if I run console commands or commands on LVM

what's the output of : lsblk -f ?

the output of lsblk -f does not highlight UUID and not error

Do you experience any problems, apart from the message? (services not starting, VMs/containers not running)?

No problem everything works perfectly

I would just like to remove this orphaned element...

depending on what kind of object this was (PV or LV), it probably got removed without lvm noticing it.
you can see what kind of object it was by reading the file /etc/lvm/backup/vg_server.

Did something change recently with the setup?

Do not change anything, unless you feel confident, and unless you have a backup!

pvscan, vgscan, lvscan could provide you with further information.

The following links might be useful for further research:
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7017724
http://www.learnitguide.net/2017/12/couldnt-find-device-uuid-recover-lvm.html

Hi Stoiko, I have a similar problem:

I have a single server with 2 HD mounted as a directory (for several files only) in raid, one HD for the installation of proxmox and another HD for the virtual machines. The HD of the virtual machines stopped working and I removed it, after that I do not know how to remove this HD from my VG. Also I can no longer see the two mounted HDDs as directory, they simply do not appear anymore in lsblk, blkid, fdisk -l
Please how can i solve it? I do not need virtual machine disks.

Code:
root@px1:/# vgs
  Couldn't find device with uuid qeyvez-PjEh-a0dB-hJmA-8oUs-GPRm-X1E30e.
  VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
  pve    2  12   0 wz-pn- 557.49g    0
root@px1:/# pvs
  Couldn't find device with uuid qeyvez-PjEh-a0dB-hJmA-8oUs-GPRm-X1E30e.
  PV             VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sda3      pve  lvm2 a--  278.62g    0
  unknown device pve  lvm2 a-m  278.87g    0
root@px1:/# blkid
/dev/sda2: UUID="27D0-1C64" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="91efec26-ac39-47b2-8058-8fb4b69a1f7f"
/dev/sda3: UUID="fjs6VO-4YRK-dnci-ye7a-U1Bs-m8mB-dJhgc8" TYPE="LVM2_member" PARTUUID="3e5f34f6-52de-4fe2-9ac9-9f43aa5cd712"
/dev/mapper/pve-root: UUID="bac6a82d-c842-49ba-9aaf-3c30eeff3b99" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/mapper/pve-swap: UUID="3a617e5a-c9e5-4e8a-bc37-bd60584dc6b3" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda1: PARTUUID="c2a3f08a-4014-46c9-a8c1-e5db9205f9e0"
root@px1:/# lsblk -f 
NAME         FSTYPE      LABEL UUID                                   MOUNTPOINT 
sda                                                                    
├─sda1                                                                 
├─sda2       vfat              27D0-1C64                               
└─sda3       LVM2_member       fjs6VO-4YRK-dnci-ye7a-U1Bs-m8mB-dJhgc8  
 ├─pve-root ext4              bac6a82d-c842-49ba-9aaf-3c30eeff3b99   / 
 └─pve-swap swap              3a617e5a-c9e5-4e8a-bc37-bd60584dc6b3   [SWAP]

Please open a new thread instead of reviving a 7 months old one!
(Also it seems that your problem is a different one - your output suggest that you had 2 disks in one VG, and one disk is gone - thus the VG is not really accessible anymore)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!