/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk `lvmid/********' not found.

peter247

Dec 31, 2021
I've been told I made a double post on how to fix my problem , which is not really the same question I asked at first .

O.K something stupid today while trying to use gpu passthrough which locked it up.
after a reboot I got the grub recover screen and started following this : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure
Got a Ubuntu live cd , removed the other SSD drives which was passed to some VMs direct and started to follow it .

**** i've found the fault , how do I fix the :----

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk `lvmid/vOy1fK-X2mn-83hH-h36r-9S2m-9QfZ-2ZYdTl/YdnS0p-FaHM-D2yz-DMca-5bla-10Hy-VDYIvr' not found.

Code:
sudo vgscan
  Found volume group "pve" using metadata type lvm2
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo vgchange -ay
  26 logical volume(s) in volume group "pve" now active
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/rescue
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/pve/root /media/rescue/
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/rescue/boot/efi
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t proc proc /media/rescue/proc
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t sysfs sys /media/rescue/sys
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o bind /dev /media/rescue/dev
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o bind /run /media/run
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o bind /run /media/rescue/run
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ chroot /media/rescue
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo chroot /media/rescue
root@ubuntu:/# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13.19-4-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-4-pve
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk `lvmid/vOy1fK-X2mn-83hH-h36r-9S2m-9QfZ-2ZYdTl/YdnS0p-FaHM-D2yz-DMca-5bla-10Hy-VDYIvr' not found.
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13.19-3-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-3-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13.19-2-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-2-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13.19-1-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-1-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.22-7-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.22-7-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.22-5-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.22-5-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.22-4-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.22-4-pve
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
done
root@ubuntu:/# grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
File descriptor 4 (/dev/sda2) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 1295811: grub-install.real
File descriptor 4 (/dev/sda2) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 1295811: grub-install.real
grub-install.real: error: disk `lvmid/vOy1fK-X2mn-83hH-h36r-9S2m-9QfZ-2ZYdTl/YdnS0p-FaHM-D2yz-DMca-5bla-10Hy-VDYIvr' not found.

root@ubuntu:/# proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sda2
UUID="0AB5-0AB6" SIZE="536870912" FSTYPE="vfat" PARTTYPE="c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b" PKNAME="sda" MOUNTPOINT="/boot/efi"
E: '/dev/sda2' is mounted on '/boot/efi' - exiting.
root@ubuntu:/# proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
E: /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids does not exist.
root@ubuntu:/# umount /dev/sda2
root@ubuntu:/# proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sda2
UUID="0AB5-0AB6" SIZE="536870912" FSTYPE="vfat" PARTTYPE="c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b" PKNAME="sda" MOUNTPOINT=""
E: '/dev/sda2' contains a filesystem ('vfat') - exiting (use --force to override)
root@ubuntu:/#

vgscan ... found volume group pve using type lvmw .... looking good
vgchange -ay ... 26 logical volumes on group pve ... so far so good
mounted /dev/pve/root and can see the contents

Last edited:
The recover from grub failure most be wrong ?
I've loaded proxmox on a second machine to workout how to fix it and made a couple of VMs on it.

I don't think from all I've read you can't mount a bios boot partition sda1 ? I think it should be sda2 ?

root@pve:~# lsblk -o +FSTYPE,UUID /dev/sda*
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT FSTYPE UUID
sda 8:0 0 447.1G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 1007K 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi vfat 8365-463F
└─sda3 8:3 0 446.6G 0 part LVM2_member YpaNXr-Chct-9n7A-HYP1-oTeo-tCI4-kuYfs2
├─pve-swap 253:0 0 8G 0 lvm [SWAP] swap fb96e8b0-d5a6-4090-ba8e-04387e36371e
├─pve-root 253:1 0 96G 0 lvm / ext4 db97cf6d-8f19-4df8-88ef-bae662e95bf7
├─pve-data_tmeta 253:2 0 3.3G 0 lvm
│ └─pve-data-tpool 253:4 0 320.1G 0 lvm
│ ├─pve-data 253:5 0 320.1G 1 lvm
│ ├─pve-vm--100--disk--0 253:6 0 16G 0 lvm
│ └─pve-vm--101--disk--0 253:7 0 16G 0 lvm
└─pve-data_tdata 253:3 0 320.1G 0 lvm
└─pve-data-tpool 253:4 0 320.1G 0 lvm
├─pve-data 253:5 0 320.1G 1 lvm
├─pve-vm--100--disk--0 253:6 0 16G 0 lvm
└─pve-vm--101--disk--0 253:7 0 16G 0 lvm
sda1 8:1 0 1007K 0 part
sda2 8:2 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi vfat 8365-463F
sda3 8:3 0 446.6G 0 part LVM2_member YpaNXr-Chct-9n7A-HYP1-oTeo-tCI4-kuYfs2
├─pve-swap 253:0 0 8G 0 lvm [SWAP] swap fb96e8b0-d5a6-4090-ba8e-04387e36371e
├─pve-root 253:1 0 96G 0 lvm / ext4 db97cf6d-8f19-4df8-88ef-bae662e95bf7
├─pve-data_tmeta 253:2 0 3.3G 0 lvm
│ └─pve-data-tpool 253:4 0 320.1G 0 lvm
│ ├─pve-data 253:5 0 320.1G 1 lvm
│ ├─pve-vm--100--disk--0 253:6 0 16G 0 lvm
│ └─pve-vm--101--disk--0 253:7 0 16G 0 lvm
└─pve-data_tdata 253:3 0 320.1G 0 lvm
└─pve-data-tpool 253:4 0 320.1G 0 lvm
├─pve-data 253:5 0 320.1G 1 lvm
├─pve-vm--100--disk--0 253:6 0 16G 0 lvm
└─pve-vm--101--disk--0 253:7 0 16G 0 lvm
root@pve:~#

so is the problem with sda1 or sda2 and how do I fix it ? , because I don't think the guide works now ?

Last edited:
I think that guide is too old. sda1 is a biosboot partition that is not intended to be mounted. sda2 is an ESP parition, but I don't think you should mount that as /boot. Nowadays, Proxmox uses proxmox-boot-tool instead of running grub-install manually.

I think that guide is too old. sda1 is a biosboot partition that is not intended to be mounted. sda2 is an ESP parition, but I don't think you should mount that as /boot. Nowadays, Proxmox uses proxmox-boot-tool instead of running grub-install manually.
Thanks , from what they say that looks correct it makes 3 partition , I've looked at all the what to do with a grub fault on debian and don't think any would work. but I'm not sure how to use it on a dead system.
The created partitions are:
  • a 1 MB BIOS Boot Partition (gdisk type EF02)
  • a 512 MB EFI System Partition (ESP, gdisk type EF00)
  • a third partition spanning the set hdsize parameter or the remaining space used for the chosen storage type

Last edited:
The partitions look fine (for a modern version of Proxmox). I suggest chroot-ing (as done in the old guide) into the pve-root and running proxmox-boot-tool to fix GRUB.
EDIT: Or maybe a grub-install /dev/sda1 is enough (from within the chroot of pve-root)?

Last edited:
The partitions look fine (for a modern version of Proxmox). I suggest chroot-ing (as done in the old guide) into the pve-root and running proxmox-boot-tool to fix GRUB.
EDIT: Or maybe a grub-install /dev/sda1 is enough (from within the chroot of pve-root)?
Thank you , I've spent a full day going nowhere , so I will try that on my test machine and make sure it doesn't do any thing stupid like deleting the LVM partition .

good try on the proxmox boot tool , on a fully working system I tried following the guide with just a couple of changes , eg the mount points sda2 to boot/efi and the grub install and install didn't kill it , them tried the proxmox-boot-tool , and that didn't kill my system .
So now it's the real system I doing to be format and working on .... Can't be any worse that the place I'm in now.

Anyone got any ideas what the missing disk is and how to fix it.

root@ubuntu:/# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13.19-4-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.13.19-4-pve

Hi,
you may be hitting Debian bug 987008. According to message 21 there, the workaround is to change something in the LVM, e.g. adding a new volume to the thin pool might work, and then re-run update-grub.

This worked for me. Thanks!
I tried everything for a week , but in the end I just pulled all the VM backups from the disk , which was only a day old at the time, formatted and started again , one of my VMs was a Emby server which had a sperate zfs drive passed to it directly and was glad I could see all that data .
It was not what I wanted to do , but was getting nowhere fast or even slow .

Thanks .

HI,
I got this exact problem but..
I got no room to lvextend root partition.
Lv reduce seems to corrupt the install. Good thing I'm testing everything on a clone.

Still. it repairs grub anyway so I was able to confirm, booting off two drives, that my proxmox is still alive but locked under the broken GRUB.
I can't believe this suddenly happened, I don't even think it was caused by an update. The day before it booted fine.

Is there any other way to ''nudge'' the lv to commit a grub-update than to play with it's boundaries?
Or, is there ANY other way at all to simply restore grub with proxmox....? In the past, i know there were some automated tools to do this but I suspect it can't be that easy as I read threads about Proxmox Grub repairs.

any help will be appreciated.

HI,
I got this exact problem but..
I got no room to lvextend root partition.
Lv reduce seems to corrupt the install. Good thing I'm testing everything on a clone.

Still. it repairs grub anyway so I was able to confirm, booting off two drives, that my proxmox is still alive but locked under the broken GRUB.
I can't believe this suddenly happened, I don't even think it was caused by an update. The day before it booted fine.

Is there any other way to ''nudge'' the lv to commit a grub-update than to play with it's boundaries?
Or, is there ANY other way at all to simply restore grub with proxmox....? In the past, i know there were some automated tools to do this but I suspect it can't be that easy as I read threads about Proxmox Grub repairs.

any help will be appreciated.

Instead if playing with lvexpand, you can nudge the lvs another way:

Did a vgrename to pve (like pvee)
Revert back to pve,
did the grub-update, and it worked
(Note: It took a while, probably because it's changing sub reps names for all my 52 lvs)

*Warning, In another occurrence, I tried renaming the LV (root) as I thought it would be more gentle, (like root to roooty back to root)
The update-grub worked and the instance booted but the screen got painted with errors with read only file system jazz and everything.
Still trying to determine if I'm dealing with a failed drive in the first place... Just wanted to avoid people trying to get as smart as I tried if it's related, the Above pve vgrename method worked on the other drive.
* I really can't confirm this aforementioned method is safe, but it can be.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/ext4-fs-error.116822/
This thread shows the errors I got, I suspect the m.2 drive to be dying or somehing wrong with the mobo ... But at the moment I don't have a perfect clue.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiona
Hi,

I also had issues with grub /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk `lvmid/xxxxxxxxxxxx' not found.

I've done that:
lvextend -L +1g /dev/pve/root
resize2fs /dev/pve/root
update-grub
and reboot

Now grub is ok but I have another issue during the boot process.

Superblock checksum does not match superblock while trying to open /dev/mapper/pve-root
.... you might try running efsck with an alternate block
mount: mounting /dev/mapper/pve-root on /root failed: Bad message.
Failed to mount /dev/mapper/pve-root as root file system.

And I only have BusyBox prompt after that.

I've try to fix the bad block while booting Proxmox from CD in advanced install (Linux prompt) but without success.

I'm using nvme ssd and I have 3 partitions : /dev/nvme0n1p1 , /dev/nvme0n1p2 and /dev/nvme0n1p3

CaptureScreen.jpeg

Any suggestions / recommendations are welcome.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi,

I also had issues with grub /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk `lvmid/xxxxxxxxxxxx' not found.

I've done that:

I've try to fix the bad block while booting Proxmox from CD in advanced install (Linux prompt) but without success.

I'm using nvme ssd and I have 3 partitions : /dev/nvme0n1p1 , /dev/nvme0n1p2 and /dev/nvme0n1p3

View attachment 45328

Regards,
I tried a week to fix my problem and in the end I just give up and started again with the backups . But what a learned is don't keep the backups on the same disk it boots from . do daily backup of VM which change .
If you have all your backup which you can get to easy it is just a install proxmox , install from backups and you are off in under a hour .

I tried a week to fix my problem and in the end I just give up and started again with the backups . But what a learned is don't keep the backups on the same disk it boots from . do daily backup of VM which change .
If you have all your backup which you can get to easy it is just a install proxmox , install from backups and you are off in under a hour .

Hi peter,

Thanks, I'm also considering this option but I would like to move VM and LXC data disk from my previous lvm pve partition to the new partition.

Hi peter,

Thanks, I'm also considering this option but I would like to move VM and LXC data disk from my previous lvm pve partition to the new partition.
I did that to one of my VMs I didn't backup . I just did the create a new VM with the same number and just replaced the data disk for that VM.
That looked easier than working out to write all the config files .

Hi,

I've done that:

View attachment 45328

Regards,
yes. as Peter suggested.
I've personally found similar issues with two Proxmox node having a single m.2 as Os/boot drive.
- In the process I cloned the m.2 to a ssd. And the instance ran fine... without this error.
- Pushed fresh backups, reinstalled, rejoin cluster, import backups. Less than 15 minutes
Never had an issue with any Sata SSD. And dedicate your m.2 storage for your Vms.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!