Using partition for OSD and WAL/DB

igloo

Mar 4, 2018
Hello!

Trying to set up brand new proxmox/ceph cluster. Got few problems:

1. Would it make sense to use SSD for wal/db? All osds are using HDDs, so I believe I'd benefit from using SSD for that.

2. Is it possible to use a partition instead of the whole drive to use for OSD while using a separate partition for SSD for wal/db? E.g. /dev/sda2 is a wal/db for /dev/sdb2, and so on..

Thank you!

Hi,
1. Would it make sense to use SSD for wal/db? All osds are using HDDs, so I believe I'd benefit from using SSD for that.
Yes if the SSD is fast, no if it is a consumer/prosumer SSD.

2. Is it possible to use a partition instead of the whole drive to use for OSD while using a separate partition for SSD for wal/db? E.g. /dev/sda2 is a wal/db for /dev/sdb2, and so on..
Yes, you can do that, normal enterprise SSD like the S3600 can only handle 4 osd's.
If the SSD dies all osd is offline and cannot recover. So you have to rebuild from the other 2 nodes

Hi,

While searching the forum for the same purpose, I found this post.

I am currently installing a cluster of 3 servers with Proxmox 6 + Ceph. I have 3 OSD 940GB SSD and 3 OSD SAS 4TB 7.2K on each server and Proxmox 6 is installed on 2x240G SSD RAIDZ1. I have used only 125G for Proxmox and have 115G Free?

For my 3 OSD SAS, I would like to use a partition of 115G on the SSD (disks where proxmox is installed) as Bluestore DB.
I created the partition (/dev/sda3) on each SSD 240G disk. Could you please telle me which partition type I need for this?

Is it possible to use a SSD partition for OSDs and how?

Thanks
Shafeek

hello
Is it possible on proxmox 6 with Ceph to push WAL/DB for slow OSDs on several SSD partitions and not the whole SSD disk? If yes, how to proceed?

Thanks for your update.

Hi,

Yes, you can do that, normal enterprise SSD like the S3600 can only handle 4 osd's.
If the SSD dies all osd is offline and cannot recover. So you have to rebuild from the other 2 nodes

Hi Wolgang, how would one create wal/dv using only partition of SSD? I have tried the following command but get error:

root@pve-a:~# pveceph osd create /dev/sdb -db_dev /dev/sda4 -wal_dev /dev/sda5
unable to get device info for '/dev/sda4' for type db_dev

/dev/sda is a single Enterprise SSD

Hi,

Even consumer SSDs are fast, so why would a consumer SSD not be beneficial over a HDD?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!