Using node-red-contrib-proxmox to obtain data Backupserver using API

Sep 3, 2021
I'm using the node-red-contrib-proxmox contrib to obtain the data from PVE.

I was trying to use this contrib also to obtain data from the Proxmox backup server. Although the connection is successful I will not retrieve any data.

Has anyone tried to do this or are there differences in the API calls causing this issue.

In the API documentation of both the PVE and Proxmox Backupserver is stated:

Usage:

HTTP: GET /api2/json/version

---
John

I'm not at all familiar with node-red-contrib-proxmox or how it works, but a possible reason for the issue could be that the Proxmox VE API runs over port 8006 while the Proxmox Backup Server API runs over port 8007.

I'm not at all familiar with node-red-contrib-proxmox or how it works, but a possible reason for the issue could be that the Proxmox VE API runs over port 8006 while the Proxmox Backup Server API runs over port 8007.
I will have a connection and the Node is able to set the port#. However, this will not work although the request are identical.

1646065200490.png

---
John

My second guess is that it's probably due to the authentication cookies having different formats, so the tool is trying to access the Proxmox Backup Server API with a cookie in the form "PVEAuthCookie=<cookie>" while it should be passing it in the form "PBSAuthCookie=<cookie>". Also note that the tool hasn't been updated in roughly 5 years, so there's potential for other issues in there.

My second guess is that it's probably due to the authentication cookies having different formats, so the tool is trying to access the Proxmox Backup Server API with a cookie in the form "PVEAuthCookie=<cookie>" while it should be passing it in the form "PBSAuthCookie=<cookie>". Also note that the tool hasn't been updated in roughly 5 years, so there's potential for other issues in there.
You are correct. If this is the only difference it should be 'easy' to create an additional package for the Proxmox BackupServer.

I opened an issue 8 days ago, but no response. I'm afraid that the package is no longer supported.

FYI. The Node is working for PVE.

Best regards,

John

@John245 no prob, I ran into the same situation as you did. It was this topic that pointed into the right direction of the solution:
"PVEAuthCookie=<cookie>" while it should be passing it in the form "PBSAuthCookie=<cookie>"
So I thought it would be worthwhile mentioning it.. :)

@John245 no prob, I ran into the same situation as you did. It was this topic that pointed into the right direction of the solution:

So I thought it would be worthwhile mentioning it.. :)

@martin-g-it
Do you know why the version number of the Proxmoxbackupserver is given as 2.3 in Node-RED while the version is 2.3.2?

For the Proxmox VE the correct number of decimals is given for the version#.

I assume it is in the Proxmox API.
1674852249607.png
---
John

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!