Using large range of UIDs/GIDs above 65535 in unprivileged LXC (crashing)

EZSPECIAL

Jun 25, 2024
Hello all,
Yet another post about UID/GID mapping on unprivileged containers.

Context
Before referring me to wiki and forum, I am aware and have read these pages:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Unprivileged_LXC_containers

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-uid-mapping-woes.99376/
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/understanding-lxc-uid-mappings.101855/
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-to-use-uids-gids-higher-than-65535-in-ct-lxc.66382/

I have a cluster with a bunch of unprivileged containers, there is a need to allow UIDs/GIDs above 65535 so I tried to enable it with container number 173 but it won't start. The goal is not about mounting some directory, file system or device, I specifically need that users and groups above 65535 can be recognized inside the container.

Troubleshooting Information
Proxmox VE version:
7.4-17

Container 173 config:
Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 64
features: fuse=1, nesting=1
hostname: [redacted]
memory: 131072
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,hwaddr=[redacted],ip=dhcp,ip6=dhcp,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-173-disk-0,size=256G
swap: 16384
unprivileged: 1
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 195:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 506:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 235:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia0 dev/nvidia0 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidiactl dev/nvidiactl none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-uvm dev/nvidia-uvm none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-modeset dev/nvidia-modeset none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/nvidia-uvm-tools dev/nvidia-uvm-tools none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri dev/dri none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 1000000
lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 1000000

Container 173 /etc/subuid and /etc/subgid:
Code:
# cat /etc/subuid
my_local_ct_username:100000:1000000
# cat /etc/subgid
my_local_ct_username:100000:1000000

Container 173 lxc-start error:
Code:
lxc_map_ids: 3701 newuidmap failed to write mapping "newuidmap: uid range [0-1000000) -> [100000-1100000) not allowed": newuidmap 584436 0 100000 1000000
lxc_spawn: 1788 Failed to set up id mapping.
__lxc_start: 2107 Failed to spawn container "173"
TASK ERROR: startup for container '173' failed

Assorted Questions
Q1: Do UID/GID mappings have to be unique to the cluster? (read: is my container somehow overlapping other containers' mappings and thus crashing)

Q2: Is there a limit to the range of values mapped? (I'm mapping a total of 1 million values but I assume it is a 32-bit value that allows up to ~4 billion values and equivalent range)

Q3: What is the default idmap if the .conf file does not explicitly set lxc.idmap for a given unprivileged container?

Q4: What does the line "newuidmap 584436 0 100000 1000000" from the lxc-start error mean? (as in, what does each value translate to?)

I am most assuredly doing something wrong, appreciate input about issue and also reply to questions to improve my technical understanding.

Last edited:
Recent Proxmox versions have the option to do passthrough of dev-nodes with containers (Resources, Add, Device Passthrough) in the web GUI, which is much easier to use. I hope someone else will answer your questions in detail.

You should look at two man pages: "man subuid" and "man subgid".

Those files define the maximum range of UID/GID for particular users. On my PVE server root is allowed 65536 UID and GID.

ETA: Whether having a million actual user ID's will be a problem is a whole other question. If they need to have entries in /etc/passwd it surely will be!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!