Using existing partition

c0utta

Dec 31, 2011
I'm currently transitioning across from a Debian Squeeze installation to multiple containers on Proxmox. During the transition, I'd like to be able to have the old Debian Squeeze running as a KVM, and reading this post (#51) it indicates that this is possible.

My issue (and probably a show stopper) is that Debian Squeeze is on partition sda1 (and associated sd5 lvm) shared with another used partition sda3. Can the KVM just use the existing sda1 partition and not the whole disk? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

c0utta

I'm currently transitioning across from a Debian Squeeze installation to multiple containers on Proxmox. During the transition, I'd like to be able to have the old Debian Squeeze running as a KVM, and reading this post (#51) it indicates that this is possible.

My issue (and probably a show stopper) is that Debian Squeeze is on partition sda1 (and associated sd5 lvm) shared with another used partition sda3. Can the KVM just use the existing sda1 partition and not the whole disk? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

c0utta
Hi,
you can edit the VM-config and add something like this:
Code:
ide0: /dev/sda1
But in this case your first ide-disk inside the vm is not an real disk (has no mbr/partition-layout) and you must mount the whole disk inside the vm (mount /dev/sda /data). Without mbr (grub) it's perhaps not so easy to boot ;)

Udo

Hi Udo,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried both:

Code:
ide0: /dev/sda1
and
Code:
ide0: /dev/sda

But neither worked (I didn't really expect them to either..)

Partition management is still a "black art" to me anyway, but I'll set up a dual boot Debian/Proxmox until the transition to Proxmox is complete.

Thanks,

c0utta

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!