Use of single VM on proxmox to use double cores on multiple sockets as Vcpu's

pranit

Oct 10, 2019
The reason being I have to use only one VM in proxmox, is that I can utilise maximum vcpus from it. My current standalone application on a physical server requires more cores than it actually has. Physical server has to total 16 cores comprising two sockets. Application requires at least 30 cores so this is the reason I am planning to migrate my this application server on proxmox having 16 gb of ram and 16 core (8+8) 2-sockets so that I can use this single VM to obtain maximum cores (Vcpu's). By doing this can I get maximum or improved processing performance for my application? I'm aware that I ll have to reserve some cores and Ram for PVE as well. Can anyone lights on this. Thanks in advance.

32 Logical cores yes, if your CPU supports hyperthreading (most do). Best practice is to reserve some CPU cores for the host. The moment you begin utilizing multiple guests (VMs or CTs), consider reducing the CPU allocation of your first VM. Historically, people have provisioned VMs based on physical cores, attempting to reduce the number of scheduling issues and context switches occurring.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!