"Use MX" checkbox under "Transports"

So if I check "Use MX" and leave 'Host' empty, mail would arrive on the mail server in the MX record?
If so, why would I leave it checked when entering a host?

Edit: seems like I cannot leave 'Host' empty.

You need to use the setting based on your configuration and DNS settings, you cannot leave host empty.

Sorry, I really do not understand. If I check "Use MX", you say the MX record for the domain is used. Used for what? Delivering mail to? If so, why would I have to input a host?

yes, for email delivery. you can also use a DNS name as "Host". If you have multiple MX records for a domain, using MX records is useful.

If you have just one email server why do you use transports?

yes, for email delivery. you can also use a DNS name as "Host". If you have multiple MX records for a domain, using MX records is useful.

Can I get a clarification? I am interpreting "use a DNS name as Host" to mean, use the mail domain name as Host, not an actual server hostname, when ticking "Use MX". Is that correct?

If you enter an IP as host name, this IP address is used, no other options.
If you enter a FQDN (aka DNS name) as host name without further options, this FQDN is used.
If you enter a FQDN (aka DNS name) as host name with Use MX ticked, the MX record of the FQDN is used (not(!) the MX record only of the domain itself without any given subdomain) so it could be used, if you have multiple mail servers behind, which you prioritize via MX records like MX 10 primary mailserver, MX 20 secondary mailserver. If you use a FQDN, e.g. mail.domain.tld, you don't refer to the MX of domain.tld (as mentioned above) but are required to also set mail.domain.tld IN MX 0-xxx FQDN in your DNS records to be able to use them.

If you enter an IP as host name, this IP address is used, no other options.
If you enter a FQDN (aka DNS name) as host name without further options, this FQDN is used.
If you enter a FQDN (aka DNS name) as host name with Use MX ticked, the MX record of the FQDN is used (not(!) the MX record only of the domain itself without any given subdomain) so it could be used, if you have multiple mail servers behind, which you prioritize via MX records like MX 10 primary mailserver, MX 20 secondary mailserver. If you use a FQDN, e.g. mail.domain.tld, you don't refer to the MX of domain.tld (as mentioned above) but are required to also set mail.domain.tld IN MX 0-xxx FQDN in your DNS records to be able to use them.
Old but still good.
This has to be a FAQ and i miss this explanation in the pmg-docs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!