USB Passthrough via VM.conf only usb0-usb4 working.

Fruckiwacki

Dec 26, 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to connect 7 usb devices to a VM that are connected (and working) on the host. The devices are attached through a Dlink USB-Hub.

my /etc/pve/qemu-server/.conf file has the following entrys:

Code:
usb0: host=2-1.1.2
usb1: host=2-1.1.3
usb2: host=2-1.1.4
usb3: host=2-1.1.1.1
usb4: host=2-1.1.1.2
usb5: host=2-1.1.1.3
usb6: host=2-1.1.1.4

doing a 'qm monitor xxx' i get:

Code:
vm 100 - unable to parse value of 'usb5' - unknown setting 'usb5'
vm 100 - unable to parse value of 'usb6' - unknown setting 'usb6'

-> only usb0-usb4 appearing in the VM.

I searched Google but only found this - i established contact by email and was that told that the issue was never resolved.

So what am I doing wrong here? Do i require a paid subscription to have this solved (like get some extra/premium packages)?

Regards

Fruckiwacki

So what am I doing wrong here? Do i require a paid subscription to have this solved (like get some extra/premium packages)?

We support up to 5 USB devices (because we emulate an EHCI controller with 6 ports inside the VM, and one port is used for other things).
So what you try to do is not possible.

But you can try to pass through the whole hub instead.

Hello dietmar,

thanks for the clarification.

I successfully passed the whole hub to the VM, but devices plugged into the hub get added to the host system. I guess the hub-plugged devices wont get added as they have different bus:vendor ids which are not listed in VM.conf -> leading to initial 'problem' with 5 devices max.

Is there anything else I could try?

Regards

Fruckiwacki

I have reached the same limitation with usb redirection for spice.

usb0: spice
usb1: spice
usb2: spice
usb3: spice
usb4: spice
usb5: spice
usb6: spice

and qm start is returning me:

vm 100 - unable to parse value of 'usb5' - unknown setting 'usb5'
vm 100 - unable to parse value of 'usb6' - unknown setting 'usb6'

Ideally I'd like to add more ports.

Regards,

Marc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!