USB inf .con

Shutdown the OS

cleanly (of course, after you made the modification to the .conf file) and start the guest OS as normal and it will pickup the usb device and install it.
I just installed a bluetooth dongle on Windows XP and it works great.

This should be more prominent in the FAQ's, an excellent addition - anyproblems with hotplugging devices?

Steve!

Would this work for a SCSI device too, albeit in a somewhat different form? I am using a SCSI tape drive and it would be nice if there was some kind of passthrough option for that :)

Would this work for a SCSI device too, albeit in a somewhat different form? I am using a SCSI tape drive and it would be nice if there was some kind of passthrough option for that :)

currently there is no really working solution for tape devices, but we would also like to have this.

In that case, a different approach would be ditching OpenVZ and moving on to the latest kernel + KVM, which allows pci device passthrough. It would enable me to attach the entire scsi controller to the VM.

Hey!

I have followed the instructions on this forum and I am still unable to get my USB devices to successfully mount.

I am using Windows Server 2008 and I'm trying to connect an external USB hard drive. I do the following:

1) SSH into proxmox and run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
2) Used command qm set 102 -hostusb 19b9:4d10 after finding out my Vendor/ProductID
3) Confirmed the .conf file was updated in /etc/qemu-server/102.conf, my VM's conf file
4) Gracefully shut down my VM and powered it back on.

The device is being displayed in the Windows device monitor but only ever shows a yellow exclamation point. Upon further investigation, the error is "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I know earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the VM needs to be stopped and started but I have already tried that. I've also used the same instructions with other various USB hard drives / USB sticks I have laying around and they all doing the same thing.

It looks as if the VM is seeing the hardware but cant initialize it correctly. Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked all around these forums and on google and i'm stumped. I can't seem to find anything... it would seem like most people get rid of the error code 10 after a stop/start of the VM but that's not working for me.

Also, for what it's worth running the "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" command lists the device as running at 480, but I keep getting messages in windows saying "this device can perform better", almost makes it seem asthough it's thinking it's plugged into a USB 1.1 port.

Last edited:
Hi Tom and larathydo

I have the same problem I followed the same steps that you and I get the same error. With window XP works fine, but with Windows Server 2008 gives me the same error as you, I wonder if you could solve the problem, how?
You could try http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_Redirector? That is the only solution, I ask this because if it work fine in window xp , should not also work on window 2008?
Sorry for my English.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!