USB Devices not being detected

alfwro

Jan 10, 2022
Hi,
I'm having issues with detecting my Coral USB Accelerator that is connected to my proxmox ve server 7.1.
Code:
root@pve:/# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I tried connecting other devices (ie. memory sticks but they are still not being detected.
How do I get this working?
Thanks

hi,

I tried connecting other devices (ie. memory sticks but they are still not being detected.

you can try running dmesg -w and plug the usb in/out to see if the kernel is giving any error messages.

with normal usb sticks you shouldn't be having any problems. you can check in fdisk -l or lsblk -f output to see if the filesystems/partitions show up.

if you can't see any usb devices anywhere then most likely there's another issue, possibly hardware related? (hard to tell without info)

hope this helps!

Hi oguz,

I know that it is not a hardware issue - I previously had ESXI host running on that very same hardware and there were no issues with USB ports.

The only change I have made during the setup was to enable pci passthrough ( I have followed this article: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough )

when I run when I run dmesg -w and then connect and disconnect usb devices I get no output whatsoever and then connect and disconnect usb devices I get no output whatsoever.

with storage usb devices connected and then I run fdisk -l or lsblk -f I can only see my existing drives but not the usb ones.

When I redirect the whole USB hub (as pci passthrough) the USB device is detected within the VM and dmesg -w confirms that fact.

I will restart my proxmox when I can to see if that makes any difference and re-check BIOS settings but as I said before that was working fine.

any other suggestions are most welcome.

I previously had ESXI host running on that very same hardware and there were no issues with USB ports.
could you post the output from pveversion -v?

When I redirect the whole USB hub (as pci passthrough) the USB device is detected within the VM and dmesg -w confirms that fact.
that's interesting...

not detecting any USB device on the host is kind of weird, even weirder that it works when passthroughed to a VM...

are you sure it's not already passthroughed to the VM? if it is then you probably can't see it on the host...

pveversion output:

Code:
root@pve:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 7.1-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-2-pve)
pve-manager: 7.1-8 (running version: 7.1-8/5b267f33)
pve-kernel-helper: 7.1-6
pve-kernel-5.13: 7.1-5
pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve: 5.13.19-4
ceph-fuse: 15.2.15-pve1
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.22-pve2
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.0
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1
libpve-access-control: 7.1-5
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.0-14
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.0-3
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.0-4
libpve-storage-perl: 7.0-15
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 4.0.11-1
lxcfs: 4.0.11-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.3.0-1
proxmox-backup-client: 2.1.2-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.1.2-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.4-4
pve-cluster: 7.1-3
pve-container: 4.1-3
pve-docs: 7.1-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20210831-2
pve-firewall: 4.2-5
pve-firmware: 3.3-4
pve-ha-manager: 3.3-1
pve-i18n: 2.6-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.1.0-3
pve-xtermjs: 4.12.0-1
qemu-server: 7.1-4
smartmontools: 7.2-1
spiceterm: 3.2-2
swtpm: 0.7.0~rc1+2
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.1-pve3

I only use pci passthrough for a onbord wifi adapter

I had the same issue today. Apparantly USB does not do 'hot swapping' on (my) VM's. Only after a restart of the VM did the USB stick popup. Not a major issue but also not advertised in the docs and not what I expect when I plugin a usb device.

Was this ever solved? I have the same issue. Proxmox doesn't register any USB devices that are connected. I have a Coral TPU connected, a keyboard and a mouse but nothing is showing up when I want to add it to a VM. Not even the USB ports themself under the option "Use USB Port" I'm on VE 8.0.3. I tinkered with the network settings of a Win VM and locked myself out. Thought I can quickly attach a monitor and pass through the Keyboard and mouse to fix it but now I'm stuck.

Was this ever solved? I have the same issue. Proxmox doesn't register any USB devices that are connected. I have a Coral TPU connected, a keyboard and a mouse but nothing is showing up when I want to add it to a VM. Not even the USB ports themself under the option "Use USB Port" I'm on VE 8.0.3. I tinkered with the network settings of a Win VM and locked myself out. Thought I can quickly attach a monitor and pass through the Keyboard and mouse to fix it but now I'm stuck.
i have the exact same issue, did you solve it?
Thanks!

Reactions: 206HDI

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!