[SOLVED] Upgrading to PVE5 without a reboot

Kenneth_H

Feb 28, 2017
Hi
Is it possible to run the upgrade to PVE 5 from PVE 4.4 using the official guide in the wiki and then wait with the reboot until later and if so, are there any features that will not work, like fx. live migration on local storage?

Not tested, but i think this is not a good idea. I think this will not work. But where is your problem. An Upgrade from 4 to 5 take about 30 minutes.

You really should set up your environment in a test lab and upgrade that to 5. Heck, even using VirtualBox as the test-bed would be safer.

The problem is that our servers are a little old and have quite a lot of VMs running, so the upgrade to PVE 5 might take 30 minutes or less, but the real problem comes when the VMs have to shut down and the physical server has to POST again and then restart the VMs.
The upgrade of our lab servers to about 1 hour to complete from when services interrupted until it was restored again.

So my plan was to run the software upgrade in the early morning and then schedule a hardware reboot to load the new 4.10 kernel at our next maintenance window. But if this will give issues, I might have to rethink the idea.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!