Upgrading to larger boot drives

SpaceFlier

Apr 9, 2024
I've got 3 pve nodes in a cluster, one of which has 2 512gb ssds in zfs raid 1, with the other 2 exactly the same, but with 128gb. I recently bought some new drives and want to upgrade those 2 128gb to 512gb. However upon looking into it I can't really find an "official" way to do this, some I've come across include transferring everything off the node and reinstalling, however I multiple vms which passthrough pcie devices, and would rather not have to reconfigure iommu. I also found a method where you install proxmox on the new drives, and then copy over the data to get the bootloader working properly, however this feels a little clunky for a simple task. The last one I found was to offline a drive in zfs, swap it with the new one, resilver the drives and do that again for the last one. This seems to be the best way to do it, but I'm not sure if this will work completely, regarding what data zfs has mirrored and if it's sitting on top of the base drive.

Which method is the best way to upgrade, or is there another one I haven't come across?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!