Upgrading the kernel with root filesystem on ZFS

gslongo

Apr 20, 2015
Dear users, staff members,

For some reasons I would like to use a recent Linux kernel on my Proxmox installation (only KVM guests) but the problem is ZFS.
If I'm correct I need to use zfsonlinux packages to add ZFS support to my new kernel. However this do not seem to be an easy task because of some dependencies of init script.

Do you know how to use zfsonlinux properly on Proxmox host with root directory on ZFS ?

Thank you for advance :)

Best regards,

Thank you for your answer.
The problem is this is a production hypervisor so not sure migrate to PVE 4 Beta is a good idea ;-)

//EDIT: Don't you will use a LTS kernel for the next version of Proxmox ?

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer.
The problem is this is a production hypervisor so not sure migrate to PVE 4 Beta is a good idea ;-)

//EDIT: Don't you will use a LTS kernel for the next version of Proxmox ?

Proxmox VE 3.4 use a current RHEL6 based kernel. If you do not need OpenVZ, you can also use a current RHEL7 based kernel (3.10).

Proxmox Ve 4.x will use on start Kernel 4.2 (... and higher if needed).

So you can pick what you like, for a stable setup you should go for 3.4 - ZFS is included in all our current releases.

Proxmox VE 3.4 use a current RHEL6 based kernel. If you do not need OpenVZ, you can also use a current RHEL7 based kernel (3.10).

Proxmox Ve 4.x will use on start Kernel 4.2 (... and higher if needed).

So you can pick what you like, for a stable setup you should go for 3.4 - ZFS is included in all our current releases.

Thank you for answer. We already use the RHEL7 kernel (3.10). So coming back to the original question, how it is feasible to use mainline ZFSOnLinux packages ?

not sure if I understand what you mean. latest zfsonlinux is already in our 3.10 kernel, so which version do you want to use?

http://download.proxmox.com/debian/.../pve-kernel-3.10.0-11-pve_3.10.0-36.changelog

Sorry if it is not clear. The goal is to use a "custom" kernel. But, the root filesystem is on ZFS so we need to use ZFSOnLinux (i guess) to make it work. However, the lastest ZFSOnLinux packages cannot be installed on PVE hosts (because of dependencies broken in init scripts)... :-(

Sorry if it is not clear. The goal is to use a "custom" kernel. But, the root filesystem is on ZFS so we need to use ZFSOnLinux (i guess) to make it work. However, the lastest ZFSOnLinux packages cannot be installed on PVE hosts (because of dependencies broken in init scripts)... :-(

our ISO installer fully supports ZFS (as root filesystem) - seems you missed this?

our ISO installer fully supports ZFS (as root filesystem) - seems you missed this?

I know and I used it to install our host. I will try again :

1. We currently use 3.10 with ZFS and we already have root filesystem on ZFS
2. We want a 4.1 or 4.2 kernel on our host, under Proxmox 3.4 (not beta version)
3. So we built a kernel by ourselve from mainline sources (kernel.org)
4. The problem is ZFS with this kernel. There is no ZFS driver in this kernel 4.2 and we cannot install ZFSOnLinux packages on proxmox host (because of dependencies issues and/or conflict with ZFS related packages already installed on the host, coming from PVE repositories)
5. The our question is : How to deploy mainline ZFS-on-linux packages on the host? http://zfsonlinux.org/

Thank you

If you compile a custom kernel and system you are out of a supported setup.

But if you open a new thread, posting the issue you have in detail maybe someone can assist - do not forget to add the logs and issues in detail.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!