Upgrading ProxMox kernel to 3.10 or later?

lifeboy

Renowned Member
I have some new proxmox installations and see that it uses an old kernel by default. I'd like at 3.10 or later, since I use btrfs on some drives (on ceph servers).

Is it safe to just upgrade this and what is the reason for the old kernel by default?

No, for some reasons, OpenVZ does not tell anything about there future plans.

I started to think about docker ... But lets talk about that on pve-devel.
I also find it a bit strange that openvz has no patches ready for 3.10 kernel given the fact that Redhat announced that 3.10 would be the kernel for RHEL 7 back in early 2013.

Docker has full support from Redhat so this would be a safe choice. Read this article: https://access.redhat.com/articles/881893 (requires access to Redhat Networks)

A small copy/paste:
"For the initial launch of Red Hat's Docker, you can run Docker containers on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (RHEL 7) systems. However, in the near future, you will be able to use Project Atomic to create cloud images that are built specifically to run Docker containers in OpenStack, VirtualBox or Linux KVM environments."

And the release notes for RHEL 7 docker containers:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.0_Release_Notes/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7.0_Release_Notes-Linux_Containers_with_Docker_Format.html (in public domain)

Docker has full support from Redhat so this would be a safe choice.

But docker is something different, so it is not a real replacement for OpenVZ ...

But please open a thread in pve-devel if you want to discuss that.

yes, docker is hot, probably the most hottest project now.
I'd be glad to run docker on proxmox.

No, for some reasons, OpenVZ does not tell anything about there future plans.

I started to think about docker ... But lets talk about that on pve-devel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!