Upgrading motherboard from 1 cpu to 2 cpus model, do I reinstall PVE?

Phone Guy

May 21, 2022
I currently have proxmox 7 installed on a Supermicro X9SCM-F single cpu motherboard, which uses the C204 chipset. I bought a new Supermicro X9DRH-7F dual cpu motherboard to replace/upgrade it. The new motherboard uses the C602 chipset. Would I have to reinstall proxmox? or could I simply swap boards?

The current motherboard has Intel® 82579LM and 82574L, 2x Gigabit LAN ports
The new upgrade dual cpu board has Intel® i350 Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet

I am not sure what the correct procedure would be. Can anyone offer advice?

The underlying Linux is usually very forgiving for hardware changes.
Note however that network device names tend to change because of (any) PCI(e) changes. There a lots of topics on this forum about editting /etc/network/interfaces on hardware changes.
And of course PCIe passthrough will require changes (and can possibly stop working or require different work-arounds). Make sure to disable auto-start of VMs.

Reactions: Phone Guy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!