Upgrading from 3.4-16

fictionedge

Mar 24, 2014
Hi

Since there is no more support regarding this version, I would like to know if someone could give me some pointers into moving to the last version, mainly:

* is it safe?
* is it REALLY safe? :)
* What info do you need regarding my current installation?
* How long can it take?

The system stopped last night and had to reboot, that's what started me thinking I should update

Hi

Since there is no more support regarding this version, I would like to know if someone could give me some pointers into moving to the last version, mainly:

* is it safe?
Hi,
yes - why not?
* is it REALLY safe? :)
of course, because you have valid backups - or not? Than it's you fault!
* What info do you need regarding my current installation?
hmm, depends what do you want. but you must done the upgrade - so you need the info and to know what is going on.
* How long can it take?
depends on your environment - if you can move all VMs back from one cluster-node, you can do an fresh install on this free node and move VMs from the next node (offline) to the new one. And this node for node til all is done.
The system stopped last night and had to reboot, that's what started me thinking I should update
This sounds more like an hardware issue and should fixed first (temperature/fan/memory/powersupply).

Udo

Thx for the reply.
I have backups of the VMs rotating, not of the operating system or configurations and dunno how to make them, disk cloning perhaps?
These backups are valid for the new version or are they incompatible?
Also have the problem of the downtime, how long would it take?

Thx for the reply.
I have backups of the VMs rotating, not of the operating system or configurations and dunno how to make them, disk cloning perhaps?
Hi,
a clone of the system is imho not nessesary. Save an copy of the configs like "tar cvf /mnt/external-disk/pve_old_etc.tar /etc".

Also should your backup be on an safe place (outside of the server and test an restore before you destroy your old system).
These backups are valid for the new version or are they incompatible?
yes - you should be albel to use qmrestore with this backups (I don't kno if pve3-backups work with pve5).
Also have the problem of the downtime, how long would it take?
Depends on your backup-storage - how fast is the disks/raid/nfs whatever... 100MB/s or usb-disk with 20MB/s?!
Depends how many and how big are your VMs
Depends how fast is your server - an fast server is installed in 5 minutes. Installation of the updates with reboots takes 10 minutes (or much more with old hardware and slow internet connection).

Udo

Thanks alot for the input I will consider doing this upgrade. I don't feel very comfortable upgrading a system like this because it is not just one more server, many others depend on him. Have a great weekend

I am about to do an upgrade myself right now and I just bought new disks, so that the old system remains available in case of a problem. It costs a little extra but it gives some peace of mind.

Converting old 3.x CT/backups to 5.x is probably going to be a challenge but there are instructions on how to go about it (will found out soon enough how that goes).

Good luck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!