Upgraded Proxmox VE via GUI - Now Root install is taking me to a VM Login

Epicstockmedia

Sep 15, 2022
Hey guys!
New to proxmox so sorry if I'm not clear on some terms... and also thanks for all the great posts and insights here so far it has been great reading lots of past posts!

To my issues and questions. Thanks in advance for any guidance

Backstory
I Recently upgraded a single node of ProxmoxVE via the Gui. During the upgrade it seems like everything was ok and it prompted me to select a new kernel, proxmox did its thing and Once the upgrade was complete I lost access to the GUI, no access via ssh etc...

Oddly enough when I rebooted the server, and watched via the idrac console I noticed that it was now going through a cloud-init process and when that completes it prompts me to login to a VM I had running in proxmox instead of the normal proxmox root install login.

Screenshot 2022-10-01 010811.png

I do see a specific error Failed to start Import ZFS pool pool\x2d1 and have been looing into this trying to see if its related.

error.png

Secondary errors are as follows.

secondarry errors.png

Trouble shooting
I have tried a few things:
  • booting again from any other kernel versions that are available in recovery mode.
  • tried removing drives
Kind of at a loss of what I should do. I feel like some how I corrupted the boot files..

Has anyone seen or experienced this issue? Would love to fix the existing server with out reinstalling and configuring proxmox again.

Thanks again!

The problem is, that the cloud-init package is installed on your PVE-host, but this is not supposed to be.
Instead it is meant to be installed only inside the guest(s).

Unfortunately I do not know, how to get a clean state back, sorry. :( But maybe it helps you to know for what to search for.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!