Upgrade wants to remove proxmox-ve

fammed

Jan 28, 2015
I have four systems with Proxmox subscriptions. All subs were purchased through a reseller. Sometimes the subscriptions become invalid even though the accounts are paid in full. When the sub is invalid, I cannot obtain patches for the system.

I need to maintain a current patch state for HIPAA compliance and when systems are out of compliance, managers become concerned because cybersecurity emails them daily to let them know they have non-conforming systems. These emails come to me and can directly influence compensation.

Today is the third week I have not been able to get patches for one of my systems. We have had a support ticket in for two weeks with the reseller.

I have deb files on another Proxmox 7.4-3 system I can copy to the "broken" system however I need to know the order in which to install them.

I have tried dpkg -i *.deb but there are dependencies, in particular proxmox-ve package. How can I fix this error? Is removing proxmox-ve really the way to go about this?

Code:
# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libjemalloc2 pve-headers-5.15.85-1-pve pve-kernel-5.15.83-1-pve pve-kernel-helper
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  proxmox-ve
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 28.7 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)       touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

Last edited:
Hi,
no you should not remove the proxmox-ve package, since that has also dependencies which are important.

theoretically copying all relevant .deb files and installing them should work, though i would probably use 'apt install ./*.deb' instead (apt can resolve issues while dpkg can not)

also if you have problem with the reseller/your subscription and the the reseller is not responsive, i'd open a ticket at https://shop.proxmox.com/ (click 'contact us') and explain the situation
maybe they can ask the reseller what the problem is

also maybe this could be interesting for you: https://pom.proxmox.com/
this can manage updates/subscriptions offline and may help in such situations? (not sure though)

Thanks for the info on POM and about contacting shop.proxmox.com. We have done this in the past and may need to again if this is not resolved soonly.

For now, I have the packages on the system so would really like to try and resolve this. I think once the sub is enabled again, I may still have the issue with `proxmox-ve` package since what `apt` is telling me is that it cannot remove `proxmox-ve` even when giving it the upgraded package.

I started with `dpkg -i *.deb` in `/apt/cache/archives` and there were just too many dependent packages to complete succesfully.

apt install on the collection of packages is stuck a little
Code:
# apt install ./*.deb
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 proxmox-ve : Depends: proxmox-kernel-helper but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I then went to apt and it appears there are dependencies among these four packages so I tried these all of them at once:
Code:
# apt install ./pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve_5.15.102-1_amd64.deb ./proxmox-kernel-helper_7.4-1_all.deb ./proxmox-ve_7.4-1_all.deb  ./pve-manager_7.4-3_amd64.deb
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 proxmox-ve : Depends: proxmox-kernel-helper but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

There is a newer proxmox-ve package (7.4-1) present so I really need to know how to get that installed. I suppose I could try and force it with `dpkg` but this isn't usually the best idea unless the dependencies can be safely ignored.

Code:
# ls -lart | grep proxmox
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   123296 Feb 21 10:28 libproxmox-acme-plugins_1.4.4_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    10500 Feb 21 10:28 libproxmox-acme-perl_1.4.4_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    15300 Mar 20 08:24 proxmox-kernel-helper_7.4-1_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     6272 Mar 20 15:19 proxmox-ve_7.4-1_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   128896 Mar 22 07:26 proxmox-widget-toolkit_3.6.3_all.deb

Last edited:
In case it helps anyone else, it looks like I needed to `apt install -f` the 7.4 kernel helper package and then the proxmox-ve package was picked up by apt and installed.

I compared the final list of installed packages with another system that has a working subscription.
After a reboot all seems OK.
Code:
# apt install -f ./proxmox-kernel-helper_7.4-1_all.deb
Correcting dependencies... Done
Note, selecting 'proxmox-kernel-helper' instead of './proxmox-kernel-helper_7.4-1_all.deb'
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: 
   libjemalloc2 pve-headers-5.15.85-1-pve pve-kernel-5.15.83-1-pve
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   pve-kernel-helper
The following NEW packages will be installed:
   proxmox-kernel-helper
 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

I have four systems with Proxmox subscriptions. All subs were purchased through a reseller. Sometimes the subscriptions become invalid even though the accounts are paid in full. When the sub is invalid, I cannot obtain patches for the system.
I need to maintain a current patch state for HIPAA compliance and when systems are out of compliance, managers become concerned because cybersecurity emails them daily to let them know they have non-conforming systems. These emails come to me and can directly influence compensation.
Today is the third week I have not been able to get patches for one of my systems. We have had a support ticket in for two weeks with the reseller.

Reading all this, I would highly consider purchasing the next time respectively before/on renewal directly from Proxmox...

Reading all this, I would highly consider purchasing the next time respectively before/on renewal directly from Proxmox...
That's not always possible. For example certain state-owned customers are only allowed to do purchases via tenders where usually Proxmox doesn't apply by itself.

Reactions: Neobin
That's not always possible. For example certain state-owned customers are only allowed to do purchases via tenders where usually Proxmox doesn't apply by itself.

Oh, okay. Thanks for this information.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!