Upgrade proxmox cluster 3.4 to 4.1 + Ceph

ivix

Renowned Member
Feb 1, 2012
Hello,

I plan to upgrade my Proxmox Cluster 3.4 to 4.1 and I need advice or upgrade the way that I've chosen will work.

The current configuration:
Proxmox 3.4 cluster with nodes 5
Node 1,2 and 3 are part of a cluster Proxmox but serve only as CEPH server (Proxmox configuration) are not for running any VM.
Node 4 and 5 are compute nodes and VMs running on them.
HA is enabled and configured, but have only one resource - manage IP address.

Now my plan:
a) On node 2. I add 4 x 5TB disk and create RAID10, share it via NFS and add the compute nodes.
b) I use the function "move disk" to move virtual disks from Ceph storage to NFS storage created at step a)
c) Online migrate all VMs from node 4. to node 5.
d) Now i remove node 4. from a cluster, reinstall to PVE 4.1 and create a new cluster on it. I add NFS share from step a) on it and step by step I turn off all VMs from node 5. and manually copied VM configuration to Node 4. and run.
e) Now step by step reinstall nodes 1, 3 and 5 to 4.1 PVE and add them in to a cluster running on node 4. On nodes 1. and 3. I configure Ceph server (to which I later add a node 2.)
f) Use the "move disk" to move virtual disks from NFS to Ceph storage created in step d).
g) Reinstall node 2. to PVE 4.1 and add it to a cluster, configure Ceph and add it as another Ceph storage node.
h) Done

- Do you think it is possible to use this procedure?
- I can create only one cluster node at which copies the VMs and run?
- Is posible to have two different clusters on one network (switch) at the same time?
- May I add nodes from step e) in to the new cluster created in step d) if on this node (node 4.) have running VMs

you'll be lucky if you can do it :)

but, I have big problem with one node, when I upgraded from 3.4 to 4.1.

you'll be lucky if you can do it :)

but, I have big problem with one node, when I upgraded from 3.4 to 4.1.

I plan make a clean install of all nodes and not upgrade existing 3.4 to 4.1
You had a problem with the upgrade from 3.4 to 4.1 by this procedure?

No one who know help me?

going through a HA cluster migration with Ceph is a huge topic and therefore no one can give you the easy answer.

instead, test the steps in a test setup, if you are faced with special problems ask here.

the shorter your question, the higher the change to get a fast answer.

going through a HA cluster migration with Ceph is a huge topic and therefore no one can give you the easy answer.

instead, test the steps in a test setup, if you are faced with special problems ask here.

the shorter your question, the higher the change to get a fast answer.

Thank you for you answer,

Does someone answer the question:
Is posible to have two different clusters (PVE 3.4 cluster and PVE 4.1 cluster) on one network (switch) at the same time?

Is posible to have two different clusters (PVE 3.4 cluster and PVE 4.1 cluster) on one network (switch) at the same time?

yes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!