Upgrade Proxmox 1.2

bodhi.zazen

Feb 23, 2009
I upgraded just today to Proxmox VE 1.2.

Over all the upgrade went well, but a few glitches for everyone to be aware of ;)

First I used the script here :

http://pve.proxmox.com/debian/dists/lenny/pve-upgrade-1.1-to-1.2

The two issues I ran into were :

1. The upgrade process seemed to remove all the additional packages I had installed :confused:

Now I did not have a lot of additional packages installed, but I prefer zsh.

After upgrading there was no zsh so I could not log into the system, either direct or via ssh.

The other packages were not so critical.

2. The upgrade also seemed to reset all the network settings to the defaults. Now since I had changed the defaults (I had 2 network cards configured eth0 and eth1) when the upgrade completed networking was not working.

The solution was to boot the system with a live CD, mount the LVM /root, and manually restore networking.

===========

Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not complaining. In fact the upgrade was overall very smooth and these issues were minor.

I would like to make others aware that the upgrade process seems to upgrade only the default packages and remove any additional optional or not-default packages. Upgrading also re-configured my networking.

I hope this information helps ;)

The upgrade script simply calls 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. It does not remove any packages by default, only when there are some conflicts which can't be resolved otherwise. It does not change the network config (i have no idea why that happend at your side).

- Dietmar

My upgrade was flawless. 1.2 even fixed the "VNC console for KVM jumps all over my screen in FF/Linux" issue too!

my upgrade also went without any issue enhanced I.O wait time as well for some reason since all kvm guest machines are running in perfect status
amr

The upgrade script simply calls 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. It does not remove any packages by default, only when there are some conflicts which can't be resolved otherwise. It does not change the network config (i have no idea why that happend at your side).

- Dietmar

Umm ... I think you will have to admit that the update script is more complicated then a single line "apt-get dist-upgrade" :p I do not see how zsh would have been removed if not by the upgrades script, I certainly did not run apt-ger remove zsh ;) Like wise with the networking issue. I had the network configured using eth1 as the external network and I updated the machine via ssh. Before the upgrade networking was working fine. After the upgrade eth1 was not in /etc/network/interfaces so no net connection via ssh or the web interface. Obviously I did not deconfigure the network myself ;) You can ignore the report if you wish, I am just warning others what my experience was. My guess is that your script automatically accepts / overwrites user config scripts, most likely with this line :
apt-get --purge -y --force-yes install $newlist
Usually when you upgrade you are asked if you wish to keep your config files or over write them. By forcing the install you are overwriting possible customized config files which can cause breakage, as it did in my case. Obviously if $newlist is incomplete packages will not be installed. The list of pacakges comes from dpkg get selections earlier, so there must be an incomplete list generated.

The download page says:

Optional: after the successful upgrade you can purge all unnecessary package. Only do this if you have not installed any additional packages - else they will get removed. This is just to save space on the harddisk.

This is wat is happen right?

Hi,
i have updated two machines. At the first one i run in trouble, because i had mounted an backup-partition via nfs.
The update-script fails and my only solution was to manual install a downloaded debconf ( dpkg --force-depends -i debconf-english_1.5.26_all.deb).
After that, the script runs successfully.
My second mistake was to run the "./pve-upgrade-1.1-to-1.2 --purge" and the additional software (zsh, bacula, nagios-plugins, snmpd) are gone.
The networkconfig (with vlan-tagging and four bridges) work without problems after the update.

It's not surprising, that a online-Migration between a proxmox 1.1 node and a 1.2 node will freeze the client (only as comment for other).

Never mind! Proxmox is a great Product!

Best regards

Udo

The download page says:

Optional: after the successful upgrade you can purge all unnecessary package. Only do this if you have not installed any additional packages - else they will get removed. This is just to save space on the harddisk.

This is wat is happen right?

I missed that , that would explain zsh ;) me bad :p I suggest that text emphasized a bit more :p Still wondering what happened to my network.

are asked if you wish to keep your config files or over write them. By forcing the install you are overwriting possible customized config files which can cause breakage, as it did in my case. Obviously if $newlist is incomplete packages will not be installed. The list of pacakges comes from dpkg get selections earlier, so there must be an incomplete list generated.

I don't see how that line removes/change the network config. It simply installs a 'carefully selected' list of new packages. Anyways, apt is quite complex, and a distribution upgrade is even more complex. The script can upgrade standard installations - besides there is no guarrantee.

- Dietmar

HI All,

I try the update on 2/3 server from my cluster and everything it's OK!

The major observation is: all extra apps installed (as mc or vsftp) need to be reinstaled after update! I don't use other extra apps.
My persoanal cron jobs are intact!

I upgraded a second machine yesterday. Before the upgrade I returned to the default configuration of my network and did not run "./pve-upgrade-1.1-to-1.2 --purge" . Upgrade went fine. Other then that I would say thank you for your work with Proxmox. If you do not want to look at the update script , that is fine with me, I am not particularly interested in dissecting it line-by-line either. I am merely giving my feedback to you and your team, what you wish to do with the information is up to you. I would however suggest you post a stronger cautionary note on the upgrade wiki page. ;)

Can I safe follow the same procedure from 1.0 to 1.2 as from 1.1 to 1.2?
I nenver updated all nodes to 1.1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!