upgrade from latest 2.x to 3.0 fails?

Netizen

Aug 16, 2012
I am installing 2.3 and without doing anything else (apart from reboot) I am procceeding into upgrading it to 3.0

Running the upgrade script from 2.x to 3.0 does not seem to cause any issues however after the reboot the server (in a DC) is not booting anymore.
I have done this already twice and I'm not sure what causes it. Any ideas?

The second time, just before the reboot I did a grub-update:

Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-20-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-20-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-19-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-19-pve
Found memtest86+ image: /memtest86+.bin
Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /memtest86+_multiboot.bin
done

After the reboot the server is not accessible anymore.

This same thing happened to me, but after reboot server, grub waiting on start to select kernel, memtest .. etc. Timeout not working, working after adding hidden timeout to grub config and then update grub.

sry google translate

1) The DataCenter does not provide the image of 3.0. The image of 2.x works ok.
2) I want to do it on a few servers. If I ask the DC to put it manually it will be too expensive.

Can you provide a way to correct the Grub before the reboot? Not everybody is a linux guru...

Same thing happened to me.
After many reboots and some changes on configuration, it works !
I looked into changes I made (for example in /etc/default/grub) but actually I didn't see anything relevant. It's a mistery ! May be there's a bug somewhere...

I'll have soon another server to install Proxmox from scratch, I'll try to reproduce the problem...

My topic : http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/14...er-installation-of-Proxmox-3-on-Debian-Wheezy

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!