Upgrade 3 nodes from 5.4 (with corosync 2) to 6.x

James Crook

Jul 28, 2017
I'm following the guide PVE 5 to 6 but i wanted to check that after i have stopped all the HA services and performed the corosync upgrade and then upgraded all the nodes other packages. Will my containers all still be running fine on the node i left them on ?
or will i need to reboot each of the nodes (then coming up on 6.x rather than 5.4) and move the containers and reboot the last node ?

I just want to minimizes down time and as you can't live migrate containers, any moves will cause down time.

thanks for any pointers.

A reboot is required after the upgrade if you want to use the new kernel (which is recommended).

CTs running should survive the 'dist-upgrade', but since you want to maximize uptime and therefor move them to other nodes for the reboot anyway, it's probably for the best to move the CTs before upgrading a node. Then, once one node is upgraded, you can move them back immediately and upgrade the next node. Rinse and repeat.

A reboot is required after the upgrade if you want to use the new kernel (which is recommended).

CTs running should survive the 'dist-upgrade', but since you want to maximize uptime and therefor move them to other nodes for the reboot anyway, it's probably for the best to move the CTs before upgrading a node. Then, once one node is upgraded, you can move them back immediately and upgrade the next node. Rinse and repeat.

Would node 1 (still on 5.4 but corosync 3) still be part of the HA cluster so i can quickly migrate to node2 and node3 (and also test the newer kernal works with my containers)

The upgrade to corosync 3 (on 5.4) has to be done on all nodes at once, after that they will still be in the cluster.

The upgrade from 5.4 w/ corosync 3 to 6.0 has no effect on cluster state, all migrations are available.

Keep in mind that migrations will have to be done manually at this point, since the HA services are shutdown per the documentation.

The upgrade to corosync 3 (on 5.4) has to be done on all nodes at once, after that they will still be in the cluster.

The upgrade from 5.4 w/ corosync 3 to 6.0 has no effect on cluster state, all migrations are available.

Keep in mind that migrations will have to be done manually at this point, since the HA services are shutdown per the documentation.

Awesome sauce, I've seen that migrating from old to new hosts will work, but the other way 'should' work.

Thanks for your help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!