Upgrade 1.9 to 2.0

we will publish the upgrade script together with the stable release of 2.0, as announced already several times.

sry, should have been more clear as I have read that announcement several times. I was more asking if it was avalible (as of the time I posted the question). I guess more importantly, what do you think the time frame it?

manually, see KVM migration.
sorry, i only use KVM, not openvz
or the better way would be using vzdump and qmrestore

Last edited:
I ran into a problem. Upgrade went successful except after I ran upgrade-from-grub-legacy and I guess I selected the wrong device and now Server wont boot up. I booted from a live Ubuntu USB disk in order to correct GRUB but when going into /boot/grub i'm not seeing menu.lst. Please help

2.0 uses the new grub2, means there is no menu.lst anymore, see grub docs, also google will help to fix.

Hi all,I have just upgraded my standalone 1.9 Proxmox, but I am currently facing a ig issue.All the KVM VM don't start, as it seems they don't see their hardrive !The Cts work well.I have ran the --import option, the GUI reads the capacity of the disks but the VMs don't see them.All the disks are SCSI ones. When I want to create a VM it does not propose the SCSI Option. But if I want to add a new disk to an existing VM it proposes SCSI.When I hit F12 in the console, it does not propose me the hard disk.I am in big trouble. Could you please help ?

When I want to create a VM it does not propose the SCSI Option. But if I want to add a new disk to an existing VM it proposes SCSI.When I hit F12 in the console, it does not propose me the hard disk.I am in big trouble. Could you please help ?

It is no longer possible to boot from SCSI disks. I suggest you change the disk type to ide or virtio (there are also other workarounds - search the forum).

It is no longer possible to boot from SCSI disks. I suggest you change the disk type to ide or virtio (there are also other workarounds - search the forum).

Thank you so much for your help. How can I change the existing disk type ?

1. stop the VM
  2. remove the disk via gui
  3. add the "unused disk" again, specify the needed bus type (e.g. ide)
  4. check/adapt the boot order
  5. start the VM

You can try to fix your grub2 config use the Super Grub2 Disk.

Just boot with the supergrub2 cd and select "Detect any GRUB2 configuration file (grub.cfg)"

This should boot your Proxmox VE system. As soon as you got Proxmox VE booted, run 'upgrade-from-grub-legacy' again, selecting the right boot disk - in my example its /dev/sda.

grub2-install.png

Done, I added a "troubleshooting" section. but just to note, everybody can add improvements on the wiki docs, so fell free to help here.

Martin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!