upgrade 1.3 -> 1.8 goes wrong

Erwin123

May 14, 2008
I'm upgrading (luckily a test server) from PM 1.3 to 1.8 with kernel 2.6.32
I followed the steps on the dowload page.

The server uses a 3ware raidcard 2x sata.
All was running fine without problems before the reboot.

I can't make a screenshot so I post a foto of the error:

I searched the forum but did not find any solution.
Does anyone knows what goes wrong here and how to fix it?

This was a test because I want to upgrade our entire (hosting production) cluster so this erro gives me the creeps a bit ;)

Thanks in advance!

I'm upgrading (luckily a test server) from PM 1.3 to 1.8 with kernel 2.6.32
I followed the steps on the dowload page.

The server uses a 3ware raidcard 2x sata.
All was running fine without problems before the reboot.
I searched the forum but did not find any solution.
Does anyone knows what goes wrong here and how to fix it?

This was a test because I want to upgrade our entire (hosting production) cluster so this erro gives me the creeps a bit ;)

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
perhaps the devices was renamed? If i'm right, in pve1.3 the /boot partition was assigned in fstab directly with /dev/sda1. If your device changed to sdb /boot isn't reachable.

Can you boot with contol-d and look with "blkid" and "fdisk -l" - you can use the UUID instead of /dev/sda1 for /boot.
Look also in the bios-settings for the device-order.

Udo

Hi Udo,

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
I understand I have to edit the fstab?
I did a fdisk -l and this was the output:

Does this tell me what to change /dev/sda1 to in the fstab?

I have no idea what happened, but I changed the boot order in the bios and let the raidcard boot first instead of the cdrom and that seems to solve it.
I don't understand why this works? It should have no influence?
What was changed by the upgrade that caused this behaviour?

I have no idea what happened, but I changed the boot order in the bios and let the raidcard boot first instead of the cdrom and that seems to solve it.
I don't understand why this works? It should have no influence?
What was changed by the upgrade that caused this behaviour?
Hi,
many things can change the device-order:
Bios, external-storage, raid-configs (which raidset is the first...).
The best way is to use the UUID (or lvm-names) instead of fixed device-entrys.
Look with "blkid /dev/sdb1" (or now "blkid /dev/sda1"?) for the UUID and use them in the fstab like this:
Code:
UUID=7405fd82-0913-4274-9622-267fb6166d52 /boot ext3 defaults 0 1

But it's allways a good idea to use the systemdisk in the first place, in other cases the grub-bootloader can be written to another disk - normaly no problem, but if you change that disk perhaps you don't have an boot-loader...

Udo

I understand, the devices where renamed because the boot order changed...
Never noticed that before.
Thanks, I learned a couple of things :)

I tested a little more and still don't quite get it, hope someone can explain a bit more.

The problem apparently appears when I attach a usb-drive to the server.
The drive is not in fstab because I usually mount it manually.
If I remove the USB drive the server boots normal, with the disk attached (again, not loaded in fstab) things go wrong with the above message.

fstab:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/pve/root / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/pve/data /var/lib/vz ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

The part I don't understand:
If I press ctrl-D at the message (for continue) the system loads normally..(didn't try that before).
I can even enter the USB-drive at his mount point /mnt/usbdrive although it does not show up at df -h
Also why did the system boot while /boot could not be loaded?

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/pve-root 38G 24G 13G 66% /
tmpfs 499M 0 499M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 572K 9.5M 6% /dev
tmpfs 499M 0 499M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data 105G 27G 79G 25% /var/lib/vz

Forgive me if my questions are stupid, I guess I oversee something obvious here, just trying to learn here ;)

Last edited:
I tested a little more and still don't quite get it, hope someone can explain a bit more.

The problem apparently appears when I attach a usb-drive to the server.
The drive is not in fstab because I usually mount it manually.
If I remove the USB drive the server boots normal, with the disk attached (again, not loaded in fstab) things go wrong with the above message.

fstab:

The part I don't understand:
If I press ctrl-D at the message (for continue) the system loads normally..(didn't try that before).
linux tried to mount all filesystems according to fstab - and fails at /boot because sda is in this case your usb-disk and not your boot-partition. <- better say: can't mount sda1 because on your first usb-disk-partiton is not an ext3-filesystem!
I can even enter the USB-drive at his mount point /mnt/usbdrive although it does not show up at df -h
Also why did the system boot while /boot could not be loaded?
because at this time /boot is not necessary - /boot is needed to read by grub (kernel and initrd), after switching th the right root (pve-root) /boot is only needed to do updates on the kernel/grub-config.
Forgive me if my questions are stupid, I guess I oversee something obvious here, just trying to learn here ;)
Use my hint with the uuid from a posting before - and all should run. But you have an strange Bios, that usb-disk has an higher prio than internal disks (or raid-volumes)...

Udo

Last edited:
Thanks Udo,

I experimented some more and indeed the UUID solves it all.
Thank you very much!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!