Updating from PVE 5 to 6: do we must do a "pve-efiboot-tool init" ?

Thomas P.

Sep 6, 2018
Hello,

I freshly updated from Proxmox 5 to 6 (with some difficulty, on OVH dedicated server, I posted another ticket just for help for others if needed: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/helping-post-for-upgrade-from-promox-5-to-proxmox-6-on-ovh.60476/ - I don't think it is related).

If i do a "pve-efiboot-tool refresh", i have got: "No /etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync."

Is it normal because coming from PVE 5, and should be left as it or do we need to run pve-efiboot-tool init /dev/xxx ? (i would prefer not because i am unsure the server at OVH is in EFI or Legacy mode). On some post you suggest running it (see please: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-ve-6-0-released.56001/#post-257891), but i think it is only for beta 6 people ?

Thanks for your clarifications on this subject.

Last edited:
you don't need to, unless you have ZFS and want to switch to the new UEFI bootloader syncing mechanism.

Thanks. Yes the system was installed with ZFS (Proxmox 5) RAID 1 (mirror).
If i switch to the new UEFI bootloader syncing mechanism, does i need to change bios settings in UEFI mode or their is no risk and server will restart without any change/problem ? (i think it is configured in legacy mode, not UEFI, i don't know how secure boot is configured on this remote server)

Thanks. Yes the system was installed with ZFS (Proxmox 5) RAID 1 (mirror).
If i switch to the new UEFI bootloader syncing mechanism, does i need to change bios settings in UEFI mode or their is no risk and server will restart without any change/problem ? (i think it is configured in legacy mode, not UEFI, i don't know how secure boot is configured on this remote server)

usually you need to switch from legacy to UEFI boot to actually switch ;)

Thanks again.
But I have always a little prbolem to understand sorry... What i mean is, doing the "pve-efiboot-tool init /dev/xxx" migration involve that UEFI boot MUST be used/configured in the bios ? Or are the two way fonctioning in parralel so we can choose as we want and staying on legacy bios boot (so no uefi) will be ok ? The denomination "syncing mechanism" was for me it sync the legacy and uefi boot... so both could be used.

Thanks again.
But I have always a little prbolem to understand sorry... What i mean is, doing the "pve-efiboot-tool init /dev/xxx" migration involve that UEFI boot MUST be used/configured in the bios ? Or are the two way fonctioning in parralel so we can choose as we want and staying on legacy bios boot (so no uefi) will be ok ? The denomination "syncing mechanism" was for me it sync the legacy and uefi boot... so both could be used.

the syncing is not between legacy and UEFI, but between multiple ESPs for UEFI. pve-efiboot-tool does not care about or touch the legacy boot stuff in any way.

I understand better, thanks again for taking time to explain this. So I will not update efi as it is not needed in my case.
Best regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!