Updates Keep Failing

lonesoac0

Dec 18, 2019
Hello all,

I am running Proxmox 7.0. I am trying to update the software but I keep getting:

Bash:
Starting system upgrade: apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libperl5.32 libssl1.1 openssl perl perl-base perl-modules-5.32
6 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Err:1 http://security.debian.org bullseye-security/main amd64 libperl5.32 amd64 5.32.1-4+deb11u1
  Temporary failure resolving 'security.debian.org'
Err:2 http://security.debian.org bullseye-security/main amd64 perl amd64 5.32.1-4+deb11u1
  Temporary failure resolving 'security.debian.org'
Err:3 http://security.debian.org bullseye-security/main amd64 perl-base amd64 5.32.1-4+deb11u1

What am I doing wrong?

Shoud be some kind of DNS problem. You could try to clear your DNS cache. Or you could run a dig security.debian.org to see why it can'T resolve it. And you could try to resolve other domains to see if DNS resolving is working at all (for exmaple dig www.google.com).

Shoud be some kind of DNS problem. You could try to clear your DNS cache. Or you could run a dig security.debian.org to see why it can'T resolve it. And you could try to resolve other domains to see if DNS resolving is working at all (for exmaple dig www.google.com).
I did what you asked; Here are the results:

Bash:
root@proxmox:~# dig security.debian.org

; <<>> DiG 9.16.15-Debian <<>> security.debian.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I also tried google like you suggested and I got the same thing.

So your DNS isn't working. You can ping a public IP to test if your internet is working at all: ping 8.8.8.8

I guess updating PVE was working before so your DNS server (etc/resolv.conf) and gateway (/etc/network/interfaces) are correct?

So your DNS isn't working. You can ping a public IP to test if your internet is working at all: ping 8.8.8.8

I guess updating PVE was working before so your DNS server (etc/resolv.conf) and gateway (/etc/network/interfaces) are correct?

I did as you asked and I get:

Bash:
root@proxmox:~# ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.150 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.150 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.150 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.150 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.150 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.150 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 7153ms
pipe 4

I can reach my Proxmox host just fine if I go to 192.168.1.150 via Chrome. I honestly cannot remember the last time I was able to update my system after I upgraded to 7.0 What should I be looking for in the two files you mention?

Looks like your host is offline. So you should check why your host can't access the internet (like verifiying that gateway and DNS server IPs are correct).

well well well. You guys helped me point me in the right direction. I checked my router DHCP server allocations and the IP address of: 192.168.1.150 was actually missing. What was throwing me off is that I was able to access my Proxmox via web interface even though the IP address was not in the router. Well, this issue is now resolved.

In my world Servers should never be submitted to the perils of a DHCP server.

- Servers should not receive an IP thru DHCP (even with reservations), but rather set in stone via manual config.

As DHCP relies on external availabillity ( and possible set Reservations) you are introducing an unwanted dependance on your server.
IF your DHCP server is unavailable ( due to any cause) and you reboot your proxmox box you are effectively losing control of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin
I get where you are coming from. In the Production world, you need that level of consistency that Static IPs provide. I have never had this issue until I switched routers. I was using my own router but then I switched to the AT&T router that they gave me. You would think that a fiber based router would not have such issues.... Looks like I will need to switch things back...

i have pfSense (as hardware box / DL360Gen7) router that handles internet ( my ISP router is configured in bridging mode) , so no issues there/ everything is under my control.

Next to that i am running split-DNS with own dns server(s) on the inside as VM's

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!