update from version one to version 3

nt_support

Mar 29, 2011
Norfolk Island
Hi guys
I am a noob here having taken over from a more senior guy.
I have a 4 host cluster running version 1.7 and it works so well we have forgotten to update, well now I have to bite the bullet and do this as the version of NTP is too old and open to abuse (DDoS) and it is a project that has been on the backburner for far too long.

Anyhow my question is really, is it possible to restore a kvm backup from version 1.7 to the last version 3.1?
ie make backups of the guest systems and shut down the lot, install the latest version host and then restore the backups. (any traps?):confused:

Otherwise what is the best practice for catching up proxmox versions and what pitfalls are there to be avoided?

Cheers
Gotty

Hi guys
Anyhow my question is really, is it possible to restore a kvm backup from version 1.7 to the last version 3.1?
ie make backups of the guest systems and shut down the lot, install the latest version host and then restore the backups. (any traps?):confused:

It should, provided all resources (networks, storage, templates, backup...) are available and with same names.

If you wish to test, you can do this.

Install pve 3.1 as kvm into 1.7 (it should be possibile, even if you won't get hw assisted virt).
then try to restore a 1.7 backup.
then, you could even try to start the restored kvm, but due to missing hw assisted virt features you should before disable that option for the vm, temporarily, and expect terrible, unusable performances but it should boot at least.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!