unsupported hardware

BobDschingis

Jun 19, 2015
Hi community,

during the boot of proxmox 3.4 i got the message:

Detected CPU family 6 model 86
UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE DEVICE: Intel CPU model

My hardware is a new Supermicro Mainboard X10SDV-F with Xeon D-1540 CPU

I can use all features on proxmox. Creating and using KVMs are working.
Should i expect that anything does not work?
What disadvantages can i expect?
Updating Proxmox with subscription did not help.

thanks in advance

My best guess is that the error message simply means that all new features added to this CPU family will not be available. To make it short: all features supported by CPU family < 6 is supported.

if it happens during post, could it mean you have to upgrade/patch your mb bios?
if it happens during linux boot, it could be the kernel you're using?

Marco

Last edited:
thanks for your replies.

@mir
If it is so, i think i can live with that :)
All features i need, are old ones, i hope.

@m.ardito
happens during linux boot. Mainboard has/is a system on chip thing. That would be very embarrassing for supermicro to sell such a mainboard :D

I will give the mainboard a try. Do not want to change on standard config of proxmox. The past shows, thats never a good idea.

thanks for your replies.

@mir
If it is so, i think i can live with that :)
All features i need, are old ones, i hope.

@m.ardito
happens during linux boot. Mainboard has/is a system on chip thing. That would be very embarrassing for supermicro to sell such a mainboard :D

I will give the mainboard a try. Do not want to change on standard config of proxmox. The past shows, thats never a good idea.

I done a quick google about that specific CPU and from what it seems, full support for it appears to only exist in later kernel versions. So... I think this is as simple as the kernel pre-dates this chip and is not aware of its exact specification. However since its an x86 processor, it is able to run the kernel code and work, obviously any features that it has that aren't recognised in this kernel version won't work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!