(Unofficial) Proxmox VE VDI Client - Initial Release!

Hi, I want to know if a user is allowed to access 3 VM's in cluster, I want to restrict access to specific VM if he access from specific machine but allow him to access all VM's if accessed from another system

In short IP based/configuration based filtering based on system local config

Feature request is only for VDI Client and not for Proxmox
As the Proxmox API is what controls the majority of what the VDI client does, this doesn't appear to be a possibility.

Does dual monitors work with the VDI? If so, I must be doing something incorrectly. I'm running the VDI from an LTSP client
Dual monitor configuration is done in Proxmox, not the VDI client. The VDI client is only a simple interface for end users to connect to SPICE using the Proxmox API.

Does anyone have this VDI Client in 32bit form instead of 64-bit? ..
VDI client is built as 64 bit only, if you need 32 bit you can build yourself, you need the WiX Toolset and a 32 bit version of Python 3.9 or newer, and the pyinstaller pip package (as well as running requirements.bat to install necessary libraries). Once you have the prerequisites installed run `build_vdiclient.bat` to build the MSI.

Last edited:
It doesn't work for us .. so I have no idea how to help you @rofo

In our humble opinion .. the VDI solution in Proxmox using Spice is "half baked" and not ready for business consumption. Nobody seems able to give clear and concise answers as to how to make it work and frankly, we've spent way too much time on it already.
Seems harsh to call it half baked and not ready for business consumption, we use it in our environment with about 100 users with no issues.

In any case the issue you're seeing is exactly what @rofo found and resolved: the Proxmox API doesn't translate the hostnames to IP addresses (that I can find) so I have to rely on configuration in the ini file for that, or have the hostnames in DNS.

Seems harsh to call it half baked and not ready for business consumption, we use it in our environment with about 100 users with no issues.

Hello
I've been using the VDI Client on various systems for a while now. And it works really well. My question would be how about updates. Is the whole project maintained for so long that it can be rolled out further? Couldn't Proxmox adopt such a solution and then also maintain it?

Cheers

Hello
I've been using the VDI Client on various systems for a while now. And it works really well. My question would be how about updates. Is the whole project maintained for so long that it can be rolled out further? Couldn't Proxmox adopt such a solution and then also maintain it?

Cheers
Well, that would be up to the Proxmox development team. I am not sure how to go about asking for something official from them, though they have developed the mobile Proxmox management app...

Well, that would be up to the Proxmox development team. I am not sure how to go about asking for something official from them, though they have developed the mobile Proxmox management app...

Mobile management App??

What does that have to do with a VDI client? I don't quite understand...

Mobile management App??

What does that have to do with a VDI client? I don't quite understand...
All it means is they are capable of creating a solution that could perform this function, as they have already created a mobile app that has a lot of crossover with the VDI client.

Ah yes, of course. Now I know what you mean. As long as the VDIClient works, it's not really a problem..

Some time ago I used a script with curl etc. But that couldn't handle network disconnects. Then the image just stopped, the VDIClient then immediately shows the login dialog. You can't overlook that...;)

All,

I'm excited to announce the release of an unofficial VDI client for Proxmox VE! Based on inspiration from this youtube video I created a simple Proxmox VDI client.

You can check it out here: https://github.com/joshpatten/PVE-VDIClient and download a Windows MSI here: https://github.com/joshpatten/PVE-VDIClient/releases

I would appreciate any feedback you wish to give me. Thanks in advance!
I have stumbled across this VDI client from a youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLatrZBFQrw

Since the video, the installer and instructions have been updated, but are focussed on installating on fat clients.
Most thinclients / kiosks are lightweight, with minimal requirements at best.

Like the video, I am looking to install the VDI Client on Alpine Linux on ~5 x 2Gb RAM/2Gb HDD systems, with the VDI client running SPICE to multiple PVE VMs.
Would it be possible if the github instructions were updated to include Alpine Linux? or something more lightweight?

I am also looking to extend this thinclient setup to some VM's being connected via Moonlight stream / Sunshine host.
https://github.com/moonlight-stream
https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine

Not sure if your VDI client can cater to this requirement, would expect some development required, happy to help with testing if interested.

Well done for developing - keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjw
Wondering if this will work with apt-get xfce chromium lightdm
or if you have to install LXDE DM first?

With SPICE being deprecated by Red Hat it is a bad idea to depend on it in the long term - at least until somebody shows interest in maintaining it and developing it further.

The GNU/Linux ecosystem (mainly the big DEs) seem to focus on the RDP-protocol for remote-desktop use cases. There is a "seamless mode" (RemoteApp) in RDP to use remotely installed applications instead of a whole remote desktop. But I didn't test that so no idea how well that would work.

With SPICE being deprecated by Red Hat it is a bad idea to depend on it in the long term - at least until somebody shows interest in maintaining it and developing it further.
There are still commits happening in SPICE and you need to ask th QEMU project if and when they'll have a working rdp implementation.

There is a "seamless mode" (RemoteApp) in RDP to use remotely installed applications instead of a whole remote desktop. But I didn't test that so no idea how well that would work.
I tried it years ago and it worked fine, yet how would that help virtualization?

There are still commits happening in SPICE and you need to ask th QEMU project if and when they'll have a working rdp implementation.

I tried it years ago and it worked fine, yet how would that help virtualization?
My VDI use-case is providing applications (not full desktops) that run on a central server to multiple users.

My VDI use-case is providing applications (not full desktops) that run on a central server to multiple users.
Then run RDP inside of the VM or use X forwarding. Your problem has been solved without virtualization for many decades.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!