(Unofficial) Proxmox VE VDI Client - Initial Release!

Jan 24, 2020
Thanks for this ! I'm going to test it soon.

Maybe a missing cool feature : create a new vm (instant linked clone from a template) when the client try to connect. (Not sure if it's possible to handle autodelete when session is stopping).

Nice! I've seen a similar implementation in ProxTalks 2017, which unfortunately had not been released into the public.

Nice, thanks! Does this also work on clusters where vms are distributed between 3 hosts? :)

Nice, thanks! Does this also work on clusters where vms are distributed between 3 hosts? :)
I have not tested this, but it should work as expected. The API, or more precisely the pveproxy, does the correct routing behind the curtain, so that SPICE will work from any node to any node in a cluster, at least is does via the normal webinterface.

Reactions: IPP and jsterr
Thanks for this ! I'm going to test it soon.

Maybe a missing cool feature : create a new vm (instant linked clone from a template) when the client try to connect. (Not sure if it's possible to handle autodelete when session is stopping).
I guess I could see the use for this, but it would require permissions given to ordinary users that I'm sure most wouldn't be comfortable giving. Further automations would be necessary under the hood as well.

I have not tested this, but it should work as expected. The API, or more precisely the pveproxy, does the correct routing behind the curtain, so that SPICE will work from any node to any node in a cluster, at least is does via the normal webinterface.
Correct. The way I designed it is you can enter multiple hosts to connect to, the VDI client then shuffles those hosts and goes through them one by one until it gets one that responds, then attempts to authenticate. When you connect to a VM, if it isn't started the VDI client will start it for you, and then it will get the Spice connection information from Proxmox. In that connection information Proxmox provides a Spice proxy, and I also have the ability in the VDI client to rewrite the proxy in the event you're doing port forwarding or some other kind of translation (see the vdiclient.ini.example file).

I also wrote in the capability for the client to run in kiosk mode, which will prevent the program from being closed. You just need to set kiosk=true in the config file.

I tried the VDI Client with a Windows and a Linux VM and it worked like a charm!!
It makes it much easier to connect directly to a SPICE VM.

Great job, thank you very much and keep it going!! :)

Even with the "VDI Client" mentioned above, the error is still present "unable to connect to the graphic server"
hello i got the same problem / my Vm in proxmox start but spice cannot connect !

can you help?

my Conf =
server =
PowerEdge R730
Linux pve 5.15.35-1-pve
proxmox 7.2-4

thinclient = Lenovo nano M75n
3.3 gib RAM
poc amd silver 3050e
Ubuntu 20.04.4LTS 64 Bits

It doesn't work for us .. so I have no idea how to help you @rofo

In our humble opinion .. the VDI solution in Proxmox using Spice is "half baked" and not ready for business consumption. Nobody seems able to give clear and concise answers as to how to make it work and frankly, we've spent way too much time on it already.

Reactions: dimitriz and rofo
It doesn't work for us .. so I have no idea how to help you @rofo

In our humble opinion .. the VDI solution in Proxmox using Spice is "half baked" and not ready for business consumption. Nobody seems able to give clear and concise answers as to how to make it work and frankly, we've spent way too much time on it already.
hi i fix it :) / i missed the update !!! there / section issue :cool::rolleyes::eek:o_O

"This issue was caused by host name.
Seeing the "INI debug" joshpatten said, you can find "proxy = {your proxmox's host name}:3128".
In such this situation, you can't resolve your host name unless you added "your proxmox's host name" record on your private (or public) DNS server.

So, you need to add a line on your vdiclient.ini like below ;

[SpiceProxyRedirect]
{your proxmox's host name}:3128 = {your proxmox's ip adress}:3128

{your proxmox's host name} can be seen from web interface, [Node]→[System]→[Hosts] (next to the ip adress).
Sorry for bad English but, I hope this will help you."

@rofo .. I believed I already tried all this but I will go ahead and take a look again and see if I missed anything the last time I worked on this .. from previous comments you can see that I haven't worked on this since early April .. Anyway, if I have any new breakthroughs, I'll post back here what transpired. Thanks for extra input.

Hi, I want to know if a user is allowed to access 3 VM's in cluster, I want to restrict access to specific VM if he access from specific machine but allow him to access all VM's if accessed from another system

In short IP based/configuration based filtering based on system local config

Feature request is only for VDI Client and not for Proxmox

Does dual monitors work with the VDI? If so, I must be doing something incorrectly. I'm running the VDI from an LTSP client

Hello!, how is it going so far?. I wonder if it supports automatic VM assignment from a pool.

@rofo .. I believed I already tried all this but I will go ahead and take a look again and see if I missed anything the last time I worked on this .. from previous comments you can see that I haven't worked on this since early April .. Anyway, if I have any new breakthroughs, I'll post back here what transpired. Thanks for extra input.
good greeting
This problem appears for me too, have you been able to find a solution to it?
Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!