Uninstall Proxmox and bring back Windows 10

avnimahesh

Sep 19, 2021
Hi, please help me. I installed proxmox and I wasn' aware that it will make my laptop a dedicated proxmox server. I want to uninstall it and bring my windows 10 back. Please help

You installed pve over that data, so your data is already deleted. I do not think you can recover it.

Yes I got to know that afterwards. I wish if I got the option to make it dual boot, I would have or have never installed it knowing this will delete everything.
What is the possibility of recovering data from a formatted hard drive?

Now I am unable to install win 10 on my previous hard drive. I have to delete it, then re-add the disk which has a greater risk of me losing my data and then only will I be able to install.

You didn't just FORMAT your drive. Plain format (typically) won't harm much data on a disk. What you did is wrote new data on TOP of old ones so that will literally shred your previous data layout etc. More than that, you've changed filesystem on it.
Sure u might get lucky with recovering some single files yet it's highly unlikely to get many usable files back (especially on your own). If you think that wiping Proxmox and installing Win10 again will help... well... actually it'll make things even waaay worse.
Stop interfering in your disk - each time you do, you make things worse. Every OS boot on it generates many additional random writes (not only reads!). You have no real influence in whitch blocks/sectors disk is about to write data. Data placement is pretty random.
So either start some recovery using live-cd utilities, plug your drive to other PC equipped with its own OS and recovery tools or (unfortunately) visit data recovery technician.

PS. You can visualize your disk as a sandy beach where you 'draw' your data with a stick. If you draw something else in same spot - your previous drawing is corrupted/damaged/unreadable. Only not overwritten spots have a chance to be read.

Last edited:
Reactions: avnimahesh
Thank you so much for such a brief explanation. Well I have installed win 10 again and the recovery is running. I have recovered some hd movies and songs up till now. Let's wait and see if the recovery utility recovers everything else as well or not. I will post the results here..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!