unexpected new node in cluster

endimion

Jul 8, 2015
Hello, I am new to proxmox. I installed proxmox 3.4-3 on a distant server with good capacity and created a network of VMs (about 10) & 3 containers under a single node ("n34"). I also programmed daily backup locally (on the same server). Everything seemed to be fine for several weeks, then I had a strange behaviour 2 days ago, when I connected to the pve interface, the single node "ns34" dissapeared and I got another empty node instead called "213". I never created this node (as far as I know).
My applications running on the vms seem to respond (interface available over the web). I checked several configuration files (the cluster.conf is missing) and the logs. Cannot find a track of an action that could have created this node. I then restarted my cluster. Now I have my previous node ("n34") also showing in the interface. When connecting with ssh, I can see both nodes and node 213 seem to be empty. I thought of deleting it completely, but I am not sure it won't also delete my actual content. When I connect on ssh, the prompt now lists "root@213" and in the .member file only the 213 node is listed. Please help.

Hello endimion,

the node name is defined in /etc/hostname

In file /etc/hosts you should have a line like this (IP number and my... are examples):

Code:
192.168.99.99 mynodename.mydomain.tld mynodename pvelocalhost

Moreover, GUI shows each subdirectory which can be found by

Code:
ls /etc/pve/nodes/

as node - regardless if it really exists or not.

Adapt these files/directories accordingly!

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Mr. Holmes,
Thank you for your reply. Hostname is correctly registered in the files you mention. On Wednesday we launched a manual backup to a datastore and while typing some commands like "ls" in the command-line, I noticed that I have again a new node in the cluster, called "ls" this time, and my prompt now lists "root@ls". We now suspect something is wrong with the hardware? I continue searching for clues in the logs and looking for a solution to inspect hardware status.

I checked the /etc/hosts file and I noticed I had two hosts declared: localhost and the remote host on which my proxmox runs. So I deleted the localhost line and removed the 2 unwanted nodes from the cluster, than rebooted the system. Everything seems to be back on the road now. Thank you for the advice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!