Uncommon Migration

RenatoMN

Oct 1, 2008
Hi,

I'm with a C2D E7200 2Gb ram running 10 VPS -- rock solid! Thanks PVE Team :)

I want upgrade it to a Core 2 Quad Q6600 8gb ram (ordered it already, will arrive the DC in next 15hrs). But I want to continue using the C2D hardware in other switch, with less IPs (I have 32 IPs currently, and 16 on the other rack)

My idea is: edit /etc/network/interfaces file and put there the IPs from the new switch. Then I move the C2D for there... Proxmox will open -- but no VPS working, because their "wrong" IPs.

Then I set up the Quad on current rack -- and IP range -- install Proxmox on it, and migrate the VPS "back" (to assume their IPs again).

The question is: will the migration works fine, without need to reconfigure the VPS on C2D to actual new rack IPs? I think the 2 Proxmox will "talk" with just the main node configured (and gateway/dns/bcast, of course), but I need to be sure, cause it's time sensitive...

Thanks for your help.

P.S.: "old" server is Proxmox VE 0.9beta2, and the new will have 1.0 installed - should I update the 0.9 before migration or it's not necessary?

Hi,

I'm with a C2D E7200 2Gb ram running 10 VPS -- rock solid! Thanks PVE Team :)

I want upgrade it to a Core 2 Quad Q6600 8gb ram (ordered it already, will arrive the DC in next 15hrs). But I want to continue using the C2D hardware in other switch, with less IPs (I have 32 IPs currently, and 16 on the other rack)

My idea is: edit /etc/network/interfaces file and put there the IPs from the new switch. Then I move the C2D for there... Proxmox will open -- but no VPS working, because their "wrong" IPs.

Then I set up the Quad on current rack -- and IP range -- install Proxmox on it, and migrate the VPS "back" (to assume their IPs again).

The question is: will the migration works fine, without need to reconfigure the VPS on C2D to actual new rack IPs? I think the 2 Proxmox will "talk" with just the main node configured (and gateway/dns/bcast, of course), but I need to be sure, cause it's time sensitive...

Thanks for your help.

P.S.: "old" server is Proxmox VE 0.9beta2, and the new will have 1.0 installed - should I update the 0.9 before migration or it's not necessary?

You confused me with IP´s and racks ..., but just as a general idea, if you cannot use migration (with the cluster) you can think of using vzdump to backup/restore.

You confused me with IP´s and racks ...
roflmao.. hahah!

rack 1 -> switch with a /27 (32 IPs) -- a C2D here
rack 2 -> switch with a /28 (16 IPs) -- empty

i will do:

rack 1 -> switch with a /27 (32 IPs) -- a new C2Q here
rack 2 -> switch with a /28 (16 IPs) -- C2D phisically moved

Then I wrote this guide:

1- change C2D main IP to rack 2 main IP
2- put the server on rack 2 (proxmox will open, VPS will NOT -- still configured with rack 1 IPs range).
3- setup C2Q rack 1
4- install Proxmox VE 1.0pm C2Q
5- migrate VPS from C2D

the questions:

a) will the migration work with VPS "offline" -- only C2D Proxmox accessible

b) do i need to upgrade to 1.0?

Thanks

roflmao.. hahah!

rack 1 -> switch with a /27 (32 IPs) -- a C2D here
rack 2 -> switch with a /28 (16 IPs) -- empty

i will do:

rack 1 -> switch with a /27 (32 IPs) -- a new C2Q here
rack 2 -> switch with a /28 (16 IPs) -- C2D phisically moved

Then I wrote this guide:

1- change C2D main IP to rack 2 main IP
2- put the server on rack 2 (proxmox will open, VPS will NOT -- still configured with rack 1 IPs range).
3- setup C2Q rack 1
4- install Proxmox VE 1.0pm C2Q
5- migrate VPS from C2D

the questions:

a) will the migration work with VPS "offline" -- only C2D Proxmox accessible

b) do i need to upgrade to 1.0?

Thanks

ad a:) if you have both machine in a Proxmox VE cluster, offline migration should work.
ad b:) no.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!