unable to unlock VM

snarf77

Dec 6, 2011
hi all,

I ran into trouble during one backup task (most probably available space problem) and since then my VM is locked due to backup task.

I read a lot on this forum concerning this but for me: qm unlock 'VMID' doesn't work (unable to open file "112.conf.tmp.518459 input/output error")

I also tried to remove the lvm snapshot file by hand (lvremove vzsnap-server2.0) but it doesn't work netiher (say: Volume group "vzsnap-server2.0" not found / Skipping Volume group "vzsnap-server2.0")

I wonder why is it talking about volume group as it is supposed to be a logical volume (and it is displayed as is when typing lv scan).

Desperatly, I have properly shutdown the VM and have tried to manually remove the "lock: backup" line of VM112.conf. I ran in the same input / output error when trying to qm unlock.

Now my VM refuses to restart for lock problem ... I'm not really annoyed more than before !!

Any help appreciated to recover

Thanks in advance

Snarf

PS: I 'm running Proxmox in version 2.2-24 in a single server arrangment (no HA nor cluster)

first, update to latest version. there was some fixes regarding backup problems with failed lvm snapshots.

are you sure you can unlock with qm unlock VMID?

post also the current config file.

> cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf

Maybe you root file system run out of space? If so, try to create some free space, and reboot the server so that all services can recover correctly.

Thanks for you help,

To reply to Tom, I 'm sure that I CAN'T qm unlock (you said "can" but guess it was a typo error).

My conf file is really simple:
boot: cdn
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
cpu: phenom
ide0: sdb1_lvm:vm-112-disk-1
ide2: none,media=cdrom
keyboard: fr
lock: backup
memory: 2048
name: ged
net0: e1000=52:EE:BF:2B:A1:35,bridge=vmbr0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sockets: 1

I have solved now my problem with the following:

I have rebooted the proxmox server

After that, I was able to qm unlock the VM

After that I was able to lvremove corectly the vzsnapshot

During this time I have found on the net a procedure that should have (perhaps (not tested now for me)) prevented me to reboot:
killall vzdump
killall vmtar
lvremove /dev/"groupe_lvm"/vzsnapXXX

To dietmar: I can confirm I was running out of space (the root cause if sure), my problem was how to recover as everything was locked after that. A simple reboot doesn't change anything, the VM can't reboot as it is still locked. But as explain to Tom, the reboot seems to have allow me to qm unlock correctly. My problem was that I need to reboot the server for a single machine backup problem. That is what I would like to avoid in the future.

Thanks and regards

Francois

...That is what I would like to avoid in the future.
Francois

update to latest version, as I mentioned in my first post.

Sorry Tom,

I didn't consider your proposal at first sight because my running platform has been fully reinstalled 3 weeks ago based on the last ISO installer on the website.
I guess you proposed that as part of "standard" answers.
I'm currently running 2.2-24/7f9cfa4c, the download link (today) mentions: 2.2-7f9cfa4c-28, I couldn't find any change logs between them, that's why I didn't consider the upgrade because for me any backup related function could not be part of "minor" improvments.
If you say it worth the try (perhaps could you be kind enough to detail shortly the changes performed or confirm that my personnal case is exactly what have been corrected between those version...) I can spend some more time to this task.

Thanks anyway for your kind support and for this wonderful software.

Snarf

Sorry Tom,

I didn't consider your proposal at first sight because my running platform has been fully reinstalled 3 weeks ago based on the last ISO installer on the website.
I guess you proposed that as part of "standard" answers.

no, its not a standard answer, its the fix for your problem.

Hi Tom,

I upgrade this morning with apt-get dist-upgrade and I reach 2.2-26 version and tried to backup (still with a size problem to check) and the backup failed (which is normal due to the size problem). But the qm unlock still failed and the snapshot lvm remains.

Which version should I upgrade to ? 2.2-28 ?

How should I upgrade ? I saw the installer ISO shows 2.2-28 but do I need to erase evrything and reinstall to get it ??? or is there an upgrade procedure different ??

Thanks for your helps as visibly nohting change for this issue in the 2.2.26

Snarf

Tom,

This server is under production so I'm not in the mood to use a test repository... When will this fix be included in a stable branch ??

Snarf

I upgrade this morning with apt-get dist-upgrade and I reach 2.2-26 version and tried to backup (still with a size problem to check) and the backup failed (which is normal due to the size problem)

I do not understand why you do not fix the size problem? It is very dangerous if you root file system runs out of space.

Tom,

This server is under production so I'm not in the mood to use a test repository... When will this fix be included in a stable branch ??

Snarf

feel free to ignore the hint and just follow the forum for the announcements for the releases. and for production servers, I recommend that you go for a support subscription.

Of course, I will fix it ... and it is not my root file system but the backup partition.

but before to fix it, I want to know that everything will be fine in case this problem occur again.

As I have the problem now I use this confiuguration to check that the fix is working. The requested behavior being that the backup fails but withtout compromising all proxmox server or require to stop it...

When this will be fixed, I will remove my size problem because I'll be safe whatever occurs...

Regards

Snarf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!