Unable to start VM

Z

Zukaro

Whenever I try to start a VM on Proxmox I get the error "no accelerator found" and the VM doesn't start. I've looked around a bit on Google and read something about needing to enable some virtualization thing on the CPU in the BIOS, but my BIOS doesn't have anything like that. I'm not sure how to get the thing working.

I have an AMD CPU although I'm not sure what type (it's pretty old though).
The output of that command is:

Code:
processor: 0
vendor_id: AuthenticAMD
cpu family: 15
model: 44
model name: AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown
stepping: 2
cpu MHz: 1599.799
fpu: yes
fpu_exception: yes
cpuid level: 1
wp: yes
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up rep_good pni lahf_lm
bogomips: 3199.59
TLB size: 1024 4K pages
clflush size: 64
cache_alignment: 64
address sizes: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc

Okay; thanks. So does that mean it's impossible to run a VM with that CPU?

It's fine; I have another motherboard lying around here which has a CPU that supports virtualization. I've already swapped them out. :p Also, the other motherboard is newer and has more RAM (only 2GB of DDR3, whereas the other had 1GB of DDR (I don't know if the other was DDR2 or just DDR but I assume just DDR), but still; that's better :p). However, I need to go get a new optical drive for this (or an IDE to SATA converter) as the newer motherboard doesn't have any IDE connectors.

I would have just had two computers lying around instead, but I found this new motherboard on the side of the road (without RAM), but the case was badly damaged and the PSU was dead. This is the machine I found (click here). The RAM was missing which is really too bad, cuz that thing had 8GB originally; so I went to the store and bought 2GB (just so I could get the thing running). Everything works though, and Windows 8 is still on the HDD (so right now I'm resetting it so all the personal data and such is off it and I can make a new user account). I need to buy an optical drive though, so before I do that I'm probably gonna test out Windows 8 a bit or just get bored of it immediately. What I really wanna do, is put Windows 8 in a PXE server (as I planned to make one of those at some point in one of the VM's on the machine) so if I want to use it I can boot it up over the LAN. I'm not sure how Windows 8 works though when it comes to licensing; from what I can tell it's stored in the UEFI but I wouldn't know (as there were no serial keys on the case with the machine).

I have a lot of plans for this machine. :p As it's going to run all my servers and be my alarm clock. :p

And it was probably time to replace this old machine once again, it's about 13 years old now. I'm still gonna use it for stuff though, but I'd need to buy a new case and PSU for it; and if I'm doing that it's gonna be for the parts I found recently. :p

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!