Unable to Re-Install Proxmox

pain

Jan 26, 2022
Hi,

I am trying to reinstall the latest version of Proxmox (8.1) but having some issues.

Steps:
I downloaded the latest proxmox version from here
I installed the USB imager to make the USB rebootable using GTK+ version for Ubuntu LTS from here

Problem:
I boot from the usb then I get proxmox installation screen.
I select the option "Install Proxmox VE"
Then get some logs on the terminal like screen.
Then it reboots back from the start into the usb and I get the installation screen again.

It's like a loop in which I am stuck. Is there a way to get rid of this problem. I am really desperate to solve this issue.

Note: The previous version of Proxmox 7.1 was already installed in this server. So I am trying to re-install Proxmox.

Immediate help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have the same issue, and I also started getting an error in the terminal screen, which said no suitable ISO found. It happens after a few moments, after selecting "Install Proxmox VE"

Most likely: Your installation media is faulty.

I recommend this very-old-but-very-relevant post about verifying boot media: https://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

isoinfo is your friend - Use it wisely!

HTH,
Eric P.

This is what the verification process looks like:

Code:
eric@flex-5:~/Downloads/ISO$ isoinfo -d -i proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id:
Volume id: PVE
Volume set id:
Publisher id:
Data preparer id: XORRISO-1.5.4 2021.01.30.150001, LIBISOBURN-1.5.4, LIBISOFS-1.5.4, LIBBURN-1.5.4
Application id:
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set sequence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 631155                                                                 <=== LOOK FOR THIS VALUE
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 4570
NO Joliet present
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
Eltorito validation header:
    Hid 1
    Arch 0 (x86)
    ID ''
    Key 55 AA
    Eltorito defaultboot header:
        Bootid 88 (bootable)
        Boot media 0 (No Emulation Boot)
        Load segment 0
        Sys type 0
        Nsect 4
        Bootoff 171E 5918

# VERIFY THE MEDIA MOUNTED AT /DEV/SDA
eric@flex-5:~/Downloads/ISO$ sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=2048 count=631155 | md5sum
631155+0 records in
631155+0 records out
1292605440 bytes (1.3 GB, 1.2 GiB) copied, 53.6723 s, 24.1 MB/s
63d43e9fba6a1ce52e98b41da0a9af04  -

# COMPARE THE MEDIA SIGNATURE AGAINST THE .ISO
eric@flex-5:~/Downloads/ISO$ sudo dd if=proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso bs=2048 count=631155 | md5sum
631155+0 records in
631155+0 records out
1292605440 bytes (1.3 GB, 1.2 GiB) copied, 2.37222 s, 545 MB/s
63d43e9fba6a1ce52e98b41da0a9af04  -

Pay special attention to the "Volume size" field in the output - You'll use that with dd and md5sum to verify the important bits.

HTH,
Eric Pretorious
Reno, Nevada

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this was driving me nuts. I have been too comfortable using Ventoy on USB to mount install ISO's and most distros have no issue with it, but Proxmox doesn't like it. Once I installed the ISO on the USB with Etcher, it installed without issue.

Thanks for your time!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!