Unable to install 6.2 from USB

badgerfruit

Nov 25, 2020
The server boots from the USB drive OK and I select "Install Proxmox VE" from the list, it clears the screen then starts "searching for block device containing the ISO proxmox-ve-6.2-1" before finally reporting "no cdrom found". Which is right. I'm not installing from CD, I'm installing from USB!

Is there a way to bypass this or tell it that everything is OK and to boot/install from the USB drive?

The installation instructions on their Wiki (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation#chapter_installation) merely says to insert the boot media and boot from it.

Hey,

are you booting BIOS or UEFI? Make sure secure boot is disabled in your firmware settings.

The BIOS is set to Boot Mode "DUAL" (I haven't really seen this option before, normally just LEGACY or UEFI). Like I said, it boots to the "Select install method" menu from the USB drive no problem, it's only after I select "Install Proxmox VE" from that menu that I get the problem :(

Attachments

• 2020-11-25 09.15.04 - Smaller.jpg
    2020-11-25 09.15.04 - Smaller.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2020-11-25 09.20.26.jpg
    2020-11-25 09.20.26.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 33
How did you put the ISO on the USB?

I downloaded the ISO from the Proxmox site and then used Windows Rufus to "burn" to the memory stick (also, forgot to say thank you for the prompt replies!)

Did you use DD or ISO mode? If you used ISO, try DD mode.

@sarathi - I am sure it was in DD mode buut I will re-burn it to make sure, it's hardly a difficult job. Watch this space for an update on that.

@Hannes Laimer I will do the above first and then check out that thread (I must admit I did a cursory search of these forums but was pretty lazy! sorry!!)

Okay, re-imaging the USB pen drive in DD mode seems to have done the trick. Thanks to both for your prompt and helpful replies!!

It's werid... I have two USB disks with PVE6 in it which I'd successfully installed PVE at least 4 times but suffered from the same issue just 2 months later. I checked the BIOS settings of the new server, nothing found. what can I do is to re-imaging PVE 7 with dd command on my Macbook...
If I made it with the newly ISO USB disk, what conclusion can I draw then???

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!