Unable to export zfs pool.

idic

Mar 13, 2020
Hi

Long story short. I've just received a server and it has a zfs pool on it with dying disks (tank). I've put in 2 new larger drives in a pool mirror configuration (tank2). Now i'm trying to export the original/old pool (tank) so i can import it back (rename) as (tankold), and then rename the new drives in tank2 and bring that backup as `tank`. That way all data is in the same spot.
When I export the data it appears the command `zpool export tank` successfully runs. When i run `zpool import` it informs me that there are "no pools available to import". I've seen some info about the service zfs-import might be remounting the pool and stopping the export from actually happening. I am running VE 6.4-14 and zfs looks like it's at 0.8.5-pve1

Is there some trick i'm missing here?

Do you still have an enabled storage (for tank) in Proxmox? Proxmox will keep importing it automatically (to gather statistics) until you disable it.

Reactions: idic
YES! I think that's it. I just need to test that. Thank you!

Last edited:
That was it. Thanks leesteken.

One other question, that you might know. I exported the old pool (tank) and imported it in as (tankold) and then renamed my new larger pool to have the name `tank`. However when I do a `zfs get sharenfs` all the shares are now saying `tankold` and my lxc/vms cant start as they are pointing to the `tankold` pool now. Is there a quick way to udpate those pointers?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!