Unable to create ZFS storage

avinashsah

Mar 16, 2023
Code:
# /sbin/zpool create -o ashift=12 vm-vault mirror /dev/disk/by-id/ata-CT2000BX500SSD1_2308E6AFBF41 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-CT2000BX500SSD1_2308E6AFBF9C
cannot label 'sda': failed to detect device partitions on '/dev/sda1': 19
Error preparing/labeling disk.
TASK ERROR: command '/sbin/zpool create -o 'ashift=12' vm-vault mirror /dev/disk/by-id/ata-CT2000BX500SSD1_2308E6AFBF41 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-CT2000BX500SSD1_2308E6AFBF9C' failed: exit code 1

Fresh proxmox install: Linux 6.8.8-4-pve

1. I would check the disks I am trying to add are indeed the ones I think they are.

2. If absolutely sure (1), would try to sgdisk with -Z option on those disks (this destroys EVERYTHING, so be sure).

3. If you get some error during (2), you get the idea what was wrong (e.g. mounted still).

4. If none of this helps I would have a look at dmesg what shows up during the attempt to create the pool. Maybe have a look at lsblk before and after the attempt.

Last edited:
When you create a ZFS pool on a full disk rather than a partition, it tries to create a paritioning scheme itself, including protective partition block. If it cannot do this, it may be because at least of of the disks is not yet empty. You can check with fdisk /dev/sda and list the partitions. It might even be that another zpool is still on it or a PV of an active LVM or it could still be mounted.

You should wipe the disks completely (beware if anything valueable is still on it).

When you create a ZFS pool on a full disk rather than a partition, it tries to create a paritioning scheme itself, including protective partition block. If it cannot do this, it may be because at least of of the disks is not yet empty. You can check with fdisk /dev/sda and list the partitions. It might even be that another zpool is still on it or a PV of an active LVM or it could still be mounted.

You should wipe the disks completely (beware if anything valueable is still on it).
I have already tried this and can ensure the disks I am trying to create storage from are fully wiped, but I found something interesting.

I am having issues with SDA, and I can't seem to initiate the disk with GPT. it also has that SMART failed error for some reason.

Attachments

• iScreen Shoter - Arc - 240804091128.jpg
    iScreen Shoter - Arc - 240804091128.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 5
Have a look at the SMART data with the button on top "Show SMART Values".
I'd check/replace the SATA cables - if all fails; RMA the disk where you bought it - assuming it is new, if it isn't new - put it in E-waste.

Reactions: esi_y
You can also use wipefs -a on your disk, make sure it is not used first

Turns out, the SSD died for some reason. It only shows up in OS but can't perform any other operation. The fact that this was just a 6-month-old 2TB SSD from Crucial is bizarre cause I never had any issues with their SSDs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!