Unable to connect to web GUI (took too long to respond)

Computer.guy.man

Aug 7, 2024
I recently installed Proxmox v.8.2-1, booted and installed it on my computer without error, but I have been unable to ping the IP address of the server or connect to the provided GUI link. I added a static IP address with the IP address of the below proxmox server with the MAC address that was displayed next to it but when I ping the static address the destination host is unreachable. When I attempt to search the given GUI link it gives me a took to long to respond error.

SERVER IP : 192.168.254.122

DHCP starts at 192.168.254.1 goes to 192.168.254.254

/etc/network/interface is attached

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    611.3 KB · Views: 4
Recommend you validate that the subnet mask is for a /24 (255.255.255.0) followed by resizing the DHCP range to something resonable:

192.168.254.50 to 192.168.254.100

.. along with a "normal" gateway assignment of 192.168.254.1.

I'm still unable to connect to the GUI for the same reason and I get the destination unreachable error when pinging

NEW /etc/hosts
IMG_0724.jpeg

NEW /etc/network/interfaces
IMG_0725.jpeg

What are the network settings on the host that you are trying to ping 192.168.254.51 with?

Network and Internet > Proxy
- Automatically Detect Settings: On
- Use Setup Script: off
- Use a proxy server: off

Are there any other settings in specific?

Assuming your host you are pinging 192.168.254.51 from is a Windows OS what does ipconfig say your network settings are?

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::29f8:da8f:ccd8:1a97%12
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.226.228
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::75e2:dbe9:1ba6:1ac3%41
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8786:d254:e8:ddd3%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.26
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Just changing the GW IP in your client configuration file does not affect the actual IP of your GW.
The Windows host reports that GW has an IP of .254. Stick with it.
I'd heed the advice about reducing the DHCP range on your router. There were user reports that some "smart" home routers would block traffic from an IP that was within the DHCP range but was not assigned via DHCP.

Additionally, providing an output of "ip a" may be helpful for an overall understanding of your current state.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

The Windows host reports that GW has an IP of .254. Stick with it.

I disagree for two reasons.

First is that it is bad form. The technical reason for using the backside of a network as a gateway is no longer valid and only leads to confusion. Its like using .local as TLD.

Second is that it is clear that OP is a beginner and when you are starting out "best practices" matter not just for understanding concepts but constructing a network with a "lay of the land" that makes sense in general. Consistency matters.

At this point I recommend OP log into the router or whatever is providing DHCP services on the network and adjust the 192.168.254.0 DHCP scope to set a gateway of 192.168.254.1. Adjust the size of the DHCP scope if not done already and commit the changes. Next, adjust the IP address of the router itself to 192.168.254.1. Finally, power cycle all clients on the network to pick up the changes starting with the router first. Once that has been done the Windows client should be able to ping 192.168.254.1. If so, move onto the Proxmox host and configure it so that it too can ping 192.168.254.1.

If the Proxmox host can ping 192.168.254.1, there there will be a high degree of probability that a ping from the Windows host to the Proxmox host will succeed as well.

Bit of an update, I didn't relize that Proxmox required an ethernet connection, so I am going to get an AP and configure it into bridging mode and connect that to my server and then to my router since I don't have an ethernet connection in my room and can't directly connect to the router

Hi @johnblue , everything you said is logical and valid.

Based on your subsequent recommendations it looks like you are willing to walk the OP through a complete network redesign. May the Force be with you!

That said, this discussion is well beyond the scope of the forum's topic "Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration" and is more suitable for /r/homelab.

Best,

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!