[SOLVED] Unable to Connect to Network after updating interfaces and host config file

Technoob9

Aug 10, 2023
As the title says. Here is the screen from a Debian live USB:
1722609650052.png
Here is my interfaces config file:
1722609680108.png

Hosts:
1722610004449.png

When I restart the host, it doesn't even show the Ethernet light at the back or on the router.

I have updated this in the past so many times with no issues, so I must be doing something stupid lol.

Last edited:
Bridge is not running.

try this, check log

Code:
journalctl -rb -u networking.service

Last edited:
Can anyone help? I am not sure what else to try. Google is turning up nothing helpful either.

Edit: Not sure if this is related, but I notice my router subnet mask is 255.255.255.224:
1722623212993.png

When I go further in the router options to "network settings" it says the subnet is 255.255.255.0:

1722623241330.png

My windows 10 PC says the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

Last edited:
Here is my interfaces config file:

View attachment 72259
This configuration looks okay.

As the title says. Here is the screen from a Debian live USB:
View attachment 72258
So this screenshot is from your VM, and NOT from Proxmox? Because according to your second screenshot you are missing the vmbr0 interface there (which is what milew noted).

Edit: Not sure if this is related, but I notice my router subnet mask is 255.255.255.224:
This looks like its the WAN side of your router, so it doesn't matter if your PVE is connected in the LAN part of your network.

When I go further in the router options to "network settings" it says the subnet is 255.255.255.0:
This looks more like the LAN interface of your router, and aligns with the address 192.168.0.143/24 set in your interfaces config.

Last edited:
This configuration looks okay.

So this screenshot is from your VM, and NOT from Proxmox? Because according to your second screenshot you are missing the vmbr0 interface there (which is what milew noted).
It's a screenshot from a Debian live boot from USB, not a VM. I can't access Proxmox, nor any VMs. How would I add vmbr0?

You don't have access to the proxmox console where you could log in? and enter the

INI:
ip a

Last edited:
You don't have access to the proxmox console where you could log in? and enter the IP there
Correct. It just seemingly loads as it normally does (but no Ethernet light on). I do have a GPU passthrough, but have no VMs to start automatically. IMMOU is disabled right now.

So, what I have been doing is use the debian live usb to modify any config files necessary.

Last edited:
When you connect a monitor to the host, do you get a black screen? You must have installed proxmox on that host somehow.

Sorry for asking, but for me, access to the console must be in some way, because otherwise there is no way to administer it.

When you connect a monitor to the host, do you get a black screen? You must have installed proxmox on that host somehow.

Sorry for asking, but for me, access to the console must be in some way, because otherwise there is no way to administer it.
It "hangs" here, but it does this normally since the GPU passthrough (which works fine on the VM... when I can access it):

1722944986567.png

Can I not just use Debian Live and modify whatever config files I need to? That's how I update the network and host config files.

Last edited:
Now I understand. It's not a network problem, it's just that the host didn't start. How do you know that it's a problem with the configuration files and not a damaged disk, for example?

I see you have another thread on this topic. You should continue there. A new thread adds unnecessary noise to your problem.

Last edited:
Now I understand. It's not a network problem, it's just that the host didn't start. How do you know that it's a problem with the configuration files and not a damaged disk, for example?

I see you have another thread on this topic. You should continue there. A new thread adds unnecessary noise to your problem.
That problem is fixed. I was embarrassingly was using the wrong web address to access the web gui (I moved).
Everything was fine until I changed my router last week and this is where I am at.

The screenshot I linked above is what normally happens since i added the gpu passthrough last year.

I do seem to be missing vmbr0, but I am not sure how to add it as you pointed out.

Last edited:
I fixed it. I put in a different GPU (so to get to the host terminal). Checked the ip a, and rather than be enp4s0, it was sus0. Quick change in the interfaces config file, and it works.

Please mark as solved mods.

Reactions: milew

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!