Unable to activate storage - SMB

Itay1778

Apr 23, 2021
Hi everyone I have a problem with my Proxmox host.

I needed to change the SMB IP share
So I went to /etc/pve/storage.cfg and changed the address, since then only problems...
It seems that the share connects and then immediately disconnects. So because of this I just completely deleted the settings of the connection via the WebUI and re-created but it does not work, and when I try to access it via the WebUI I get this error: unable to activate storage 'SMB-TN' - directory '/mnt/pve/SMB-TN' does not exist or is unreachable (500)
So I just decided to reset all the settings and try again.
I deleted the connection via the WebUI, rebooted to Node, deleted the folders it creates in /mnt/pve, and re-created the share with a completely different ID.
But the problem still exists - it connects for a second and then disconnects and there is no access. And the same error appears in the UI.

I checked that there is access to SMB Server (TrueNAS) and they can talk to each other
This does not seem a permissions issue
Proxmox is the only one that has a problem accessing this SMB Server.

Proxmox - 7.1-12

I have the same problem, did you solve it?

I can't get SMB or NFS into proxmox :(
It seems that my problem was with TrueNAS or VLAN and Proxmox, I still haven't found exactly who is to blame.
My problem was that I tried to connect when the SMB sharing was on a subnet different from that of the Proxmox and although Proxmox's had access to it it still did not work.
And this address was created in TrueNAS via Bridge (which I believe is the problem for all this but it only happened with Proxmox so...:rolleyes:)

Anyway, I solved it by that I just creating an SMB address within the same Proxmox subnet in TrueNAS and connected like this in Proxmox and everything worked.
Because I still did not have time to fix it 100 percent so it's still not perfect, what I'll probably do is create an address in Proxmox that will be in the same subnet of addresses that did not work and block it through the Firewall in Proxmox so there will be no access from it to anything and it will only be for that purpose.

Hope this helped you

Reactions: escaparrac
It seems that my problem was with TrueNAS or VLAN and Proxmox, I still haven't found exactly who is to blame.
My problem was that I tried to connect when the SMB sharing was on a subnet different from that of the Proxmox and although Proxmox's had access to it it still did not work.
And this address was created in TrueNAS via Bridge (which I believe is the problem for all this but it only happened with Proxmox so...:rolleyes:)

Anyway, I solved it by that I just creating an SMB address within the same Proxmox subnet in TrueNAS and connected like this in Proxmox and everything worked.
Because I still did not have time to fix it 100 percent so it's still not perfect, what I'll probably do is create an address in Proxmox that will be in the same subnet of addresses that did not work and block it through the Firewall in Proxmox so there will be no access from it to anything and it will only be for that purpose.

Hope this helped you
It was not what you said, but that enlightened me. It was an IP problem that messed everything up.

Thanks for the followup. :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!